• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter adapter

scotttruhart

NAXJA Forum User
well i have the notorious leak from the adapter. i have the torx type bolt as well. i saw some of the previous posts on changing the o rings. any one know if the bolt is prone to breaking?? i am getting the torx socket and going to try to do this. dealer wants $100 labor to do the job. seems like if the bolt comes out that this is a very easy job, im just worried that i will snap bolt. also apparently getting a set of tools on it is hard given the locaton. any suggestions on hand tools needed. thanks

Yeah. I just did this two weeks ago.

IIRC it's a T55. Here's what I would suggest:
Get the T55 and drive the actual T55 out of the socket if that makes sense. Use whatever open end/box end wrench fits it (it was either 12 or 13mm) Take the T55 and put in the box end and electrical tape it in place. You'll have to play around with placement/rotation of the whole thing so that you can get a breaker bar on it. You'll have to hold onto the back of the T55 after slipping the cheater pipe on the wrench...it's a b!tch to get it right. You probably wont have much room for that first tiny bit that the bolt is going to move before you hit a control arm or the ground with the bar. No use in penetrant b/c it aint gonna do jack. I've heard the bolt CAN break but they all CAN. I was worried but I'd do it again without even thinking twice.
It'll take forever to get that bolt out b/c you can't move it much each time. Get the whole adapter off and you'll see the big o ring that mates to the block. The other 2 are in side the adapter. That bolt you were struggling with will pop right out of the adapter (with a little persuasion). The other o rings are inside. I hope this helps. It's very do-able. If you need anything just yell.

Sure glad I don't have one of those. The filter on my 98' just screws to the block. I suspect one could do a conversion on a unit that has the adapter. After all the MOPAR V8s had a 90 deg adapter, but you could take it off, move the pipe over and call it good.

scotttruhart said:
well i have the notorious leak from the adapter. i have the torx type bolt as well. i saw some of the previous posts on changing the o rings. any one know if the bolt is prone to breaking?? i am getting the torx socket and going to try to do this. dealer wants $100 labor to do the job. seems like if the bolt comes out that this is a very easy job, im just worried that i will snap bolt. also apparently getting a set of tools on it is hard given the locaton. any suggestions on hand tools needed. thanks

The "bolt" is pretty big, so I doubt you'll break it. Better chance of stripping the torx head. Go get the right o-rings from the dealer. Less than $6 I understand? The generic ones from the hardware or auto store are just a wee bit too thin to seal properly. I think they are metric instead of sae.

Back