• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing chain

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone runnin a double roller timing chan set,is there a real benifit for the the 4.0?

any reason not to run a non-roller type chain set from summit?

Maybe not a ton of help, but I would figure out what the OEM style timing chain was & pick one out from that type.
You don't want to go cheap on it because breakage / stretch / premature wear all suck.
You don't want to spend extra $$ on bling if you aren't building the rest of the engine to the point that it would demand a high end timing kit.
Looks like a Cloyes chain of OE design is $20 at rockauto.com
Whole kit for $46

im not goin cheap, 52 bucks for the set i was eyeballin, 149.00 for the double roller, summit racing is just across town!! haa im very fortunate to not always have to order cool stuff! thanks

unless you are packing some serious punch it is not needed. I can recall 1 (what started as a) 4.0 with over 300 at the crank used for mudracing coming off of a trans brake only having to change his STOCK setup once a season, about 100 passes. Another one is a what started as a 258 putting out almost 300 at the wheels so figure about 400 at the crank has not needed to change his yeat, thats with 3 seasons on that motor. Unless you are running extremely high compression (over 13:1) or have a power adder and are constantly running it at 6000+ rpm, tehre's just no need.

Back