• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part # for the Coolant Temperature Sending Unit 1996 4.0L Classic

Distended

NAXJA Forum User
Have been to one dealer today and called a couple of others looking for a Coolant Temp Sending Unit for a 1996 4.0L Cherokee Classic with a coolant temp gauge, NOT the warning light.

Drove @ a half an hour to dealer who said he had one in stock. When I got there he showed me a part that look like it had put put in the dryer, as it was about a third of the size of the unit I have on my Cherokee. Also the connector was more rounded on the perimeter than the one on mine.

The part # for the Coolant Temperature Sending Unit that the dealer had listed for my Jeep is 56027012. Which looks like this...

web.jpg

A picture of what I believe to be the Coolant Temp Sending Unit on my Cherokee is below. I assume the pic below is a pic of my Coolant Temp Sending Unit, if not, please advise & ridicule me. If it is a pic of the sending unit do you know what the appropriate part number is? I was told I could bring the unit in and they could get the part number off of it, but I was hoping not to have to remove it just to get that info.

web.jpg

No, that is not a picture of your coolant temp sensor. That picture you posted is on the air intake manifold, not near coolant.

The CTS is located in the very front of the engine in the thermostat housing, right next to the upper heater line.

That's not the sensor. the temp sensor for the gauge is on the head in back of the valve cover on the driver's side.

Thanks... given that I could not even properly ID it I am uncertain that I am qualified to change it out...but I gonna:gee:

That's not the sensor. the temp sensor for the gauge is on the head in back of the valve cover on the driver's side.
not true, 96+ have a single sending unit that is on the tstat housing, 95 and older xj's have the gauge sending unit on the back of the head as well as the one on the tstat housing

not true, 96+ have a single sending unit that is on the tstat housing, 95 and older xj's have the gauge sending unit on the back of the head as well as the one on the tstat housing

i stand corrected. it makes sense with the obd2 and all. atleast it will be easier for him to install lol. Make sure to get an oem piece from the dealer, the auto parts chain stores sell crappy sensors ask me how i know.

Scroll to the bottom of this page to -similar threads-

1 early 96 and 1 late 96, both have gauge sensor at back of head.

Your mopar # is the right one 1-56027012.

I was looking this up and got distracted. Appears you have an answer in the meantime but will go ahead and add this FWIW.

That is the part no. for the gauge sender on my '93 (for 92 - 96 years per the catalog) that I replaced a year ago. ~$15 + postage from one of the online discount Mopar dealers. Much greater accuracy than the BWD unit it replaced.

wrong mine is a 96 and has two sensors (one in back and on t-stat housing)

Sooo.... I know this means i am a bit late to the 'CTS party, but here goes nuthin'..
On the 91 to 95 versions that I have owned, the CTS or Coolant Temp Sensor that throws a code 22 is on the front of the head in the thermostat housing. That is the big dog for smog ! The little one on the back of the head is the Anti-Freeze Temperature Sending Unit for the Temp Indicator in the instrument cluster. ;) In California, the one in the back just don't matter, and the one in the front is critical to pass a CA smog check if your 'Puter throws a 22, 55 code.

Back