• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console?

xjpheonix

NAXJA Forum User
i have searched tfor the answer i am lookin for to no avail so now i need someones help
my xj doesnot have a stock o.c. are the wires already installed for the temp sensor
i guess thats all i couldn't find, all the other answers were in the other threads
thanks

A console from a 97+ XJ (I have been told though that 00-01 where different somehow, but I've never confermed that), the harness that runs from the console to the fuse box, and a temp sender from any Chrysler that matches the plug behind the grill. Then do a search on "overhead console" for a write up on how it's done.

FastFreddy4 said:
This topic interests me - what do I need to add the console to my 2001 Sport?

Find or buy a an overhead console, the mounting bracket and the temp sensor. You will also need the wire harness from the console to the fuse box. Each year from 97-01 the wire harness had minor changes in the plugs. If you are a good tech you can trace the circuits and connect the wires directly, allowing you to use any years wire harness. Otherwise it much easier to use a wire harness specifically for your year XJ. The temp sensor wire should already be behind your front bumper.

The older style consoles (1996 and older) have fewer functions and are much easier to install regarding any difference in the donor year to your XJ.

I have a grey console and wire harness from a 2001 and a 1998 for sale , PM me for details. I can also email install instructions with pictures.
standard.jpg

I installed mine today on my 89 XJ. The only wires that I actually had to run were the ones for the temp sensor, since it wasn't in the headliner. Everything else, I used power that was already there. Switched power from the visor light, then constant power from the dome and old keyless entry.

Wasn't too bad, and it looks nice and works :)

Is it popssible to put the 97+ OC into a 96 xj sport that has the older OC in it? would the wiring match up?

BigG said:
Is it popssible to put the 97+ OC into a 96 xj sport that has the older OC in it? would the wiring match up?
The wiring won't match and the computer function won't work, just the temperature a compass.
It's less than half the cost just to go with the pre97 console.

Hey Tim_MN,
With PMs down I have not been able to read your last PMs and you probably can not read mine. I still want the console, once we can communicate maybe we can finish the deal.
Cheers!

One thing I found useful.... I cut the headliner out around 6" bigger than the console on the donor. Then took it and traced the new cutouts onto my existing headliner. Also, take a battery drill & 3/16" drill bit and get the rear bracket for the console.

The wrecking yard where I got mine allowed me to do this. Don't know what the going price of these are, but I only paid $45, wiring and all.

Tim, I'm interested in the `01 gray overhead console if you have it available still. I sent a PM but I'm not sure if PM is working at this point.

Chasjr1 said:
One thing I found useful.... I cut the headliner out around 6" bigger than the console on the donor. Then took it and traced the new cutouts onto my existing headliner. Also, take a battery drill & 3/16" drill bit and get the rear bracket for the console.

The wrecking yard where I got mine allowed me to do this. Don't know what the going price of these are, but I only paid $45, wiring and all.

I paid 12 bucks total on it ;)

Back