• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

willys issues hydraulic slave cylinder issues and dana 30 arb issues anyone got ideas

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i have a 59 willys that ive been working on like crazy.
here are the specs:
ford 2.8 v6
dana 27 front
stock suspension
27 front with 9" drums, 44 rear with factory posi and 11" drumsstock t 90 and dana 18

have a dana 30 with discs and arb from a late 70s cj5 sitting in the garage im working on(narrow track, pass drop, open knuckles, discs, better all around id say than the 27 )

just threw on a warn OD on the dana 18, and at the same time swapped in a new slave cylinder since one of the previous owners converted it to a hydrualic slave which was nice but it was 4 inches out of the floor boards.
i used a 1980 cj5 slave cylinder and fabbed up a bracket for it . used the old push rod.
got it all hooked up. then i installed the warn OD.
then i threw the rear DS back on(just swapped out the old open rear end end with the 9" drums the week before)

and what is happening now is i cant seem to get the clutch to disengage no matter how far in i push the linkage (by hand or with slave ) and therefore i cannot shift into gear at all. if i force it in, the jeep dies.

im a little stumper.
played with the pushrod adjustments too. i mounted the slave in way different way than the previous one as well.

so im kinda stumped.
could it be that i installed the OD wrong?
could it be i did something to the clutch setup internally when playing with the new slave setup?

im going to install the old slave first and see if it fixes it for now, but if it doesnt i guess im pulling the OD. and if thats not it, then i guess im pulling the tranny to check the clutch.
id rather not have to do all of that since i have a bunch to do on my XJ but i want the willys up

i know i did

External I would assume? Is all the air out of the system? Is the clutch pedal traveling far enough to disengage the clutch? You may have a problem with the pedal not moving enough fluid to disengage the clutch.

the thing is fully bled of air in the system. ill try to post pics.

ya its external. maybe the new slave needs to go further out ?

i have the darn thing adjusted as much as i can get it out and it still doesnt work.
i going to throw the goofy old slave and bracket set up since that worked to rule out any internal clutch/throwout bearing issues and then go vack to this slave setup after some more careful measurements

pulled off the tranny and the throw out bearing was all bent to heck.
put a new throwout bearing, clutch, and re surfaced the pressure plate.
made a new longer pushrod for the slave, need to install it all then bleed it and go from there.

Back