• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf issues & Weight issues

stromxj

NAXJA Forum User
So i have learned that i carry too much weight in/on my rig for any type of conventional off the shelf leaf spring. Armor plating, tools, skid plates, bumper, spare parts all take their toll. The biggest thing i hate carrying is a spare tire. I have gone to custom Alcan leafs and i find that i can easily weigh them down by overloading with just a few items in the jeep. I admit that i am old school and like the stability that leafs give me. Has anyone else experienced what i am going thru? What has been the solution?
I have had the weirdest handling issues for some time and until recently :confused1have not been able to figure out why.
My next trick is to figure out what i can not live without and try to eliminate some things..

If everyone you wheel with has a D30 front and XJ D44 rear, not everyone needs to carry a full set of spare shafts on every trail. Or Waggy-length 44 front shafts. Same thing if everyone has the same size tires and lug pattern. Starter, water pump, alternator, 4 gallons of fluids? Ball joints, u-joints, tie rod, drag link, hi-lift, drivelines? All necessary?

I carry a pair of D30 shafts and a short side 44 rear shaft because I don't wheel with all guys who run 30s, a tire because not everyone is 5x4.5, a spare pinion yoke, a mild set of tools, a small toolbox of miscellaneous junk that I should probably toss half of, a tow strap, and jumper cables.

I had that problem once upon a time. Decided to go with stiffer leaf springs. Believe me when I say that it is much better to have the softer leafs, even if you are bogged down in the rear. I like the advice that was given about how you don't have to carry everything if you wheel with similar rigs. I would advise against a leaf spring swap unless that's your last resort.

When you got the Alcans made did you tell them all the weight you would be carrying? Seems to me like you understimated the weight when you had them made.

Call Alcan and see what they think. I would assume they could make a few extra leaves for you to add into the pack to get the rates up. If not, I would find something else to turn it into your own bastard pack and add some more.

You could check with Deaver too. I think their mentality is more thin leaves with less individual rates stack up to give you a pack that can hold the weight but still flex OK.

And yes, I have this issue. Between my exo, armor, tools and cago, she has a lot of weight. I currently am running a set of OME leaves with their overload leaf, and two more leaves from an old pro comp pack. It sits at the right height and flexes well.

Back