• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Takes a while to start but always does.

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ with stock 4.0L renix motor. Everytime I go to start it, it turns over for about 10+sec before firing up. It happens this way everytime but always starts and seems to run fine after. In fact it passed smog check a couple weeks ago.

Whats up with this delay? Is there a paticular component that needs attention?

I have a 90 as well and when it is cold outside it takes a good long while to start. Once it is warm and I go to start it again, it will fire up in a few seconds. Come to think of it I can't remember a time when it fired really quickly. I have recently done a tune-up (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, oil change and filter) and replaced the CPS and IAC stepper motor. It does have 207,000 on the clock so that may play a factor. Whats with these old jeeps and takin a long time to start, is that just a fact of life?

Engines are always harder to start in cold weather. I have a 94 with 140,000. it does the same thing definatly not for 10 seconds though, maybe 5. its harder for the fuel to stay vapor. I forget the word for it. But it wants to condence so it makes it harder to get a good fuel air mixture and prevents the engine from starting as quickly as it would on a 95* summer day. someone told me that if you switch the ignition switch to the run position for a second or 2 before cranking it over it will help it start more quickly. I have noticed it does seem to help my xj. i dont know why. i dont think the injectors are leaking and im fairly sure the valve to prevent backflow are working properly because its not a huge difference, but still noticable. If you havnt had a tune up in a while that might help you out. I think its pretty normal for the xjs to start slow. But hey at least its not a land rover. I have a friend with a 96 disco and that thing has all sorts of problems starting cold. Every time it doesnt start for her i say "you should have bought a jeep" :) Mine has never left me stranded. haha.

The earlier fuel injection needs 2 complete revs of the engine to synch timing. While it doesn't sound like a lot, its the difference between immediate ignition and the seemingly long crank time.

Sorry, ten seconds is a bit much even for these. Check the fuel pressure when you shut down the engine. It should hold for a long time. If not something is leaking down.

I have an 88 xj waggy and when you turn the key to start it doesn't do anything for about 2 secs., you can hear the fuel pump build pressure and when it stops the starter begins turning, the starter has always seemed to turn slowly to me, even with a brand new battery, but it always starts.

explorer said:
The earlier fuel injection needs 2 complete revs of the engine to synch timing. While it doesn't sound like a lot, its the difference between immediate ignition and the seemingly long crank time.

Sorry, ten seconds is a bit much even for these. Check the fuel pressure when you shut down the engine. It should hold for a long time. If not something is leaking down.

That sounds like a piece of the puzzle..

It does this if cold or hot. Also I have new plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel pressure relief valve, EGR valve...

Back