• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire recomendations for stock Daily Driver?

FlyNNN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a no-lift, daily driver 1990XJ that requires new rubber on stock 15" rims (235/70R/LR15). My present set is Good-Years Fortera which is no longer made. These are the best tires I have had on this XJ for what I do, which is strictly city/highway commute. Dry/wet surface handling are high priority attributes that I am after. I have discovered a few favorable notes on the Good-Year Adventure. Suggestions welcomed.

https://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

product-2732-prodpage.png

Looks like a reasonable tread, what are the numbers on it?

Re: Tire recommendations for stock Daily Driver?

Looks like a reasonable tread, what are the numbers on it?
From what perspective? Trail, pavement? As mentioned in my original post, I'm only interested in a city/hwy tire. I hope the tread is not too aggressive for this use. The sidewalls look firm. Is every one only running 33" trail tires w/6" lift here? There has got to be some stock XJ's left out there.

The only numbers that I know are 235/70R/LR15. Are there any other I should be aware of?

Our 1998 XJ runs the P235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler Radial, which is kind of an AT just like what came on the YJ's and XJ's when they were new. They run good.

My 1994 XJ runs LT235/75R15 BF Goodrich AT KO2's and they are good too. They are more aggressive that what you probably need but they are wearing really well.

If it's really just pavement, just put an all season on it like every other stock vehicle on the road. I doubt any modern tire is going to be the limiting factor for handling on the street.

Being located in Alberta, Canada I am going to surmise you need to cope with water in varying degrees of freezing. I am going to suggest you look at tires such the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the Hankook Dynapro ATM.

I have been running the Falkens on my XJ for several years now and have been very happy with their performance (I am running a 30" tire on a daily driver XJ that sees occasional trail duty). I am happy enough with the Falkens that I have also put them on my Suburuban which is The Bride's daily driver.

I am running the Hankooks on my dually. They are comparable to the Falkens. I do not have as much time on these as the Falkens though. I do think they are worthy of consideration and comparison.

Note that we are in Idaho. Probably a bit milder weather than yours, but similar issues throughout the year.

Re: Tire recommendations for stock Daily Driver?

From what perspective? Trail, pavement? As mentioned in my original post, I'm only interested in a city/hwy tire. I hope the tread is not too aggressive for this use. The sidewalls look firm. Is every one only running 33" trail tires w/6" lift here? There has got to be some stock XJ's left out there.

The only numbers that I know are 235/70R/LR15. Are there any other I should be aware of?

I'm talking about treadwear, traction, and temperature.

If it's really just pavement, just put an all season on it like every other stock vehicle on the road. I doubt any modern tire is going to be the limiting factor for handling on the street.

Seeing how my Jeep is just a DD I put some Cooper Discover HT's on her awhile back. An '00 with Ecco rims. 225 75 15. I like them. Not like I am testing their limits. Front end is tight and aligned. I keep them at about 34 lbs. Rotate yearly. Hating space saver spares I picked up an extra rim and purchased 5 of the tires. Spare is always part of the rotation. When I purchased them it was $532 out the door for the 5 using nitrogen instead of air. Got a $50 rebate and managed to get $80 for my old tires. I was OK with $80/per tire after the dust settled.

BTW, I don't see that tire listed in your size?

Our 1998 XJ runs the P235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler Radial, which is kind of an AT just like what came on the YJ's and XJ's when they were new. They run good.
On-line reviews seem to have many negative response on these.

My 1994 XJ runs LT235/75R15 BF Goodrich AT KO2's and they are good too. They are more aggressive that what you probably need but they are wearing really well.
Same kind of overall responses on the BF Goodrich's. I'll take a deeper dive into the KO2's.

Being located in Alberta, Canada I am going to surmise you need to cope with water in varying degrees of freezing. I am going to suggest you look at tires such the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the Hankook Dynapro ATM.
More so basic rain during the warm seasons. Once water starts to freeze around here, I'll have my winter tires on by then.

I'll look into the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the Hankook Dynapro ATM.

Seeing how my Jeep is just a DD I put some Cooper Discover HT's on her awhile back. ... I was OK with $80/per tire after the dust settled.
I'll see what I can dig up on these Cooper's. Around here in Canada, I've got a feeling I'm going to be paying around $200 CAN / tire when I find something.

maybe a tire shop is better prepared to help?

I run Firestone Destination AT on mine in the factory tire size with favorable winter traction results this past winter. Being all terrain they may be a little louder.in the road noise department, but I find it tolerable.

That tire isn't available in his size either. Best bet, search by tire size and see what you come up with!

I replace my tires when I cannot drive through a torrential downpour without slowing down.

My 01 XJ is stock and has run BFG AT 235/75R15 for the last 372,000 miles. I have gotten as much as 90,000 miles out of them with lots of highway miles. By then the rubber gets stiffer and braking distance is longer and they start to feel torrential rain. They are heavier and with stiffer sidewalls than say Goodyear Wranglers, but ride well (maybe somewhat noisier after a few rotations). The last time I had a problem with wheel balance was about 10 years ago. I have never had a flat tire with one. have broken belts on some less than desirable stretches of I-40 on lesser tires, but never with these. They are pretty much indestructible for road use, plus they have a Snow Rating.

Goodyear Wranglers I'm trying are lighter and have softer sidewalls. Tire shops seems to need to balance them all the time to keep them from vibrating the steering wheel at interstate speeds. I have actually had 'minor' death wobble where I'd have to pull onto the shoulder and slow to 40mph because they were out of balance and starting violently shaking the steering wheel until I slowed down.

I have run the Bridgestone Revo's on trucks before and they are fine. I just prefer the BFG.

Back