• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shortcuts for installing aftermarket keyless entry to 96 with factory IR keyless?

supark

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ country has power locks and the factory keyless entry with the infrared sensor. Looking at the factory receiver, it looks like it's pretty simple.

I just ordered an aftermarket DEI keyless entry system and I'm wondering if there would be any shortcuts involved with splicing it in where the factory keyless entry system is?

Also a related question - if I have power doors, does that also mean I have a power lift gate? There isn't a button to open it in the car, but wondering if there is an actuator and wiring for it already.

I searched and couldn't find anything so sorry if this is a noob question.

Last edited:
On my '92, the button that locks/unlocks the doors also does the hatch. Unless someone swapped out the hatch for a one from a vehicle that wasn't equipped with power locks, yours should be the same.

As Rob said, there should be a lock/unlock actuator on the hatch too. My 88 has one. The lock/unlock relays are under the pass side kick panel. The wires from the overhead sensor come down into there and connect to the relays. You merely need to splice the lock/ unlock trigger wires from the new unit into the old wires.

ah ok - so if I'm understanding correctly, because the relays are in the kick panel, it'd make the most sense to do the wiring there.

Yours will likely be a bit different, but here's my 88. You can see the tan and green wires ziptied together coming from the top of the pic. These are the lock/unlock wires from the overhead sensor. I simply spliced them with wire nuts to the wires from the remote control unit. I opted to mount it under the center console.

I also omitted the horn chirp, siren, remote start, and most of the other bells and whistles. I do have the lights flash but that's it. Hardest part was figuring out the stock wiring.

rskickpanel_0127Small.jpg

Back