NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 29th, 2021, 18:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: lockers! what ya running and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowell View Post
I don't think you are understanding (or are ignoring) the terms people generally use. My rig is locked= I have lockers. it does not mean your shafts are hard locked together like a spool 100% of the time. If you have a locker in front and are in 2WD, the locker will not lock the shafts together. You need power to the diff to activate a mechanical locker. Thousands and thousands of people drive around on the street locked (with lockers) with zero issue.
Granted, but being called ignorant and accused of providing "bunk information" sure is not a good way of communicating that the original poster may mean something else than what I understood what was meant

For me locked means the two axle halves are locked together. Done a good deal of wheeling with many other offroaders with lockers, and when we say "locked" we understand that means the locker is engaged. I guess some folks just don't understand that, and rather fling insults than provide clarification.

We have yet to hear from the original poster for clarification. I guess we are all ignorant and full of bunk until then! Ignorance is bliss!

I hope the original poster lets us know, this is an interesting issue.
Old January 30th, 2021, 06:41
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post

..... both ends lunchbox locked for a few years.

Implies a Lock Right style automatic locker, doesn't it ? Saying locker or locked to me, is a locking differential.

Spool is spool and welded is welded.

denverd1 was not perfectly clear in his post, but assuming one thing or another without clarification from the OP is where your misunderstanding begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; January 30th, 2021 at 10:14.
Old January 30th, 2021, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

of course a locker can be unlocked. but hey if you think that you are ignorant I suppose, it is all bunk.
Old January 30th, 2021, 09:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I've had both ends lunchbox locked for a few years. It's a barrel of fun. Swapping axles. Thinking about lockers. What I like, didn't like, never doing again type of thing.

Being front locked on 33's has created some issues, namely steering gears. I'm on my 3rd. The frame rail where the gear mounts is also F'd. I believe the rig had a collision on front driver corner. I beefed it all up when I ripped the bumper off, but didn't give that section of frame rail any love. Got a SFR brace for the inner frame and will throw some angle iron and plate on bottom and outside.

I'm also going hydro assist when the axles go in. will be on 37s and wouldn't trust the gear to hold up getting out of my driveway in current form.

So... since I'm doing hydro assist, do lunchbox again for simplicity? I like simplicity. they just work. no air lines or other crap to break. point and shoot. will hydro assist negate any turning-while-locked issues? they're cheap and I've never had a problem after beating on them pretty hard for several years. ratcheting doesn't bother me...

Or! go auto in the rear, something selectable or at least with better manners up front?

Eaton or any other e-locker would work. Not as simple, but definitely not complicated.

Does grizzly stay locked or only engage with wheel spin? I would be ok with that.

Any LSD worth putting up front? I'd rather have a more mechanical relationship than clutches. Do they still suck?

will be 90% trail, 10% road trips jeep to the local jeep event. may swing by the Bed Bath and Beyond, don't know if we'll have time.

those with locked front ends, what do you have and why?
Maybe this thread can get back on track.... Steering with a locked front axle is added stress in 4x4 for sure. I added a 2wd low mod to my np231 and use it all the time. So often I find myself needing low range but not necessarily all 4 wheels digging while trail riding. It's 4x4 on the fly so when I see an obstacle I know requires 4x4 (rock garden, mud, etc) I engage the front right before I get there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old January 30th, 2021, 11:09
NAXJA Forum User

lockers! what ya running and why?

Auto lockers are designed to unlock and slip when turning on pavement in 2wd. End of that discussion.

Yes I beat the shit out my rig. Stock steering gears are not designed to turn locked 33s. Would a selectable be better? Yes. Was always a temporary solution until I swapped bigger axles. I have no regerts.

I'm liking the Detroit rear, e-locker up front concept.

Budget? IDK. Is whatever it takes a bad answer? Not a cheap hobby and I want it done right.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old January 30th, 2021, 11:14
NAXJA Forum User

I have auto lockers. Spartan, aussie, lokka.

Not welded, not spools.

I do not drive around on pavement with 4wd engaged. I do some dumb shit, but I'm not that dumb.

Old January 30th, 2021, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

ACTUAL QUESTION:
Has anyone run an auto locker (see above) with hydro assist??

Old January 30th, 2021, 14:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Auto lockers are designed to unlock and slip when turning on pavement in 2wd. End of that discussion.

Yes I beat the shit out my rig. Stock steering gears are not designed to turn locked 33s. Would a selectable be better? Yes. Was always a temporary solution until I swapped bigger axles. I have no regerts.

I'm liking the Detroit rear, e-locker up front concept.

Budget? IDK. Is whatever it takes a bad answer? Not a cheap hobby and I want it done right.

The larger Dodge Durango steering gear box is a direct fit replacement on the XJ I have done that. I forget the exact years of Dodge that it comes from but an interweb search should find that for you. The Dodge gear box is larger than the XJ box, but bolts in easy anyway.

I have had no problem with that gear box and I do have 33x12.5 MT tires and an ARB air locker.
I did add a cross brace on the gear box which goes to the passenger side frame.

I got the gear box at the wrecker for very little money. I looked for a low mileage wrecked Dodge and checked to be sure the steering fluid is clean before I bought it
I use the stock pump. I did add a steering fluid cooler and filter on the return line.

That maybe all you need to do, it is a very economical upgrade.

What does IDK mean?

good luck!
Old January 30th, 2021, 15:07
Freakish Hand Strength

Do this > https://ironman4x4fab.com/collection...ring-box-brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old January 30th, 2021, 15:30
NAXJA Forum User

Already bought the ram, fittings and lines.

IDK means I don't know.

So whats the difference in a Detroit and a Spartan?
Clutch based engagement?

Old January 30th, 2021, 15:34
NAXJA Forum User

Full case Detroit, trutrac, Detroit locker? 3 different things?

Old January 30th, 2021, 16:32
NAXJA Forum User

Go with the full case, it's got to be one of the strongest units out there and a excellent choice!
Old January 30th, 2021, 16:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Go with the full case, it's got to be one of the strongest units out there and a excellent choice!
Got a link?

Old January 30th, 2021, 18:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Here's your chance to provide valuable information...

Old January 30th, 2021, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

In my opinion the full case detroit and grizzly sure can't be any weaker than the open carrier with a locker in it.
Im amazed by my grizzly. I wonder if the lunch box lockers work as well just not quite as strong

I ran alot of miles in 4wd today and didn't ounce here the grizzly ratchet. Climbed over some vertical rocks at slow slow crawl that I could do before but had to finagle around and hit the perfect line with alittle umfff because the front didn't want to pull it self up. The welded rear would walk sideways.

When I was researching lockers deciding on grizzly or Detroit I didn't really come across any failures in dana 30s heck not even lunch box lockers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk