NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 28th, 2021, 22:05
NAXJA Forum User

lockers! what ya running and why?

https://youtu.be/hpSKsRNvXVs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old January 28th, 2021, 22:11
NAXJA Forum User

I will say that if my foot is on the throttle the grizzly is locked. I I can some let of fast coming into a turn and get it to unlock.

Found coasting down hill it does unlock.

Have seen no situation where I was on the throttle and it wasn't locked didn't matter turning or going straight. If im sending power through the tcase the fronts locked.

In 2wd its definitely not locked. Paired with the welded rear if it was it would be a real pain to drive on the street.

https://youtu.be/Tv4Tba7gUC4

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old January 28th, 2021, 23:09
Jeepoholic

Re: lockers! what ya running and why?

My WJ has a aussie in the rear. Not a fan for street driving at all. Offroad it does great. It's not my daily so don't really care. For the cost an my options with the faux44 it's not terrible. Eventually when an axle swap happens trutrac rear and selectable front. My MJ is ARB front a trutrac rear. Still being built but I know this combo and dig it. In any case selectable up front and rear selectable preferred but a trutrac or grizzly would be my choice. Unless it's a trailer queen spool the rear, selectable up front
Mods; 3" IRO lift, ADDCO rear sway bar, 4.7HO with bored fastman TB, AFE intake and Superchip tuner, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" Kolak exhaust
Old January 28th, 2021, 23:24
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
Go ahead a mess up you rig with the front lock on a dry pavement while turning. jeezI am not ignorant. but you are rude.
I did it for years with no issues. I think you have no idea how an automatic locker works. Detroit, Grizzly, Aussie, Lock-rite, etc. Do you think every XJ, TJ, ZJ, WJ, JK with a front locker is either running a selectable or “messing up” their front axle?

I maybe be rude but you need to SPOBI
G & G Offroad and Auto Repair can make you think you can run the Box!
Old January 28th, 2021, 23:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Unless it's a trailer queen spool the rear, selectable up front

Close, but backwards. Trailer + hydraulic steering + 35 spline = spool the front and air leaker in the rear

The front pulls you up or around a corner, while the rear pushes you straight or off the line.
Old January 29th, 2021, 09:36
NAXJA Member

I ran an aussie up front in my 94 for years, including a lot of street driving and I never had an issue, though the noise was kind of annoying sometimes.

I've got ARB's front and rear now and I'm really enjoying it. Had I not bought axles that already had them and gears done, I probably wouldn't have sprung for them. In fact I had another aussie ready to go in the front of my 01 before these fell into my lap.

If I did it again I'd probably do an auto locker in the rear, and a selectable up front. I find that its rare I don't want the rear locked, so I wouldn't mind the simplicity back.
Old January 29th, 2021, 10:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I did it for years with no issues. I think you have no idea how an automatic locker works. Detroit, Grizzly, Aussie, Lock-rite, etc. Do you think every XJ, TJ, ZJ, WJ, JK with a front locker is either running a selectable or “messing up” their front axle?

I maybe be rude but you need to SPOBI
You will need to explain what a spobi is.

at anyrate the original poster of this thread indicated his front end has been locked for years, and that he has gone thru several steering systems, possibly because of that.
If he is driving on dry pavement locked, well that can explain the steering damage.

I suggest he use a selectable locker so he can unlock when on pavement, and I stand by that statement. otherwise he can go with a limited slip device, or go open diff. but if he wants to be fully locked, it needs to be selectable if he intends to turn corners on dry pavement.
Now what is wrong with that? Maybe you can explain otherwise without being rude? Id appreciate that. Thanks.

My arb is only locked when needed on dirt, never on pavement, as driving on dry pavement locked will cause damage.
Old January 29th, 2021, 11:01
NAXJA Forum User

Seems like the ideal combo depends on the intended usage. I went with a truetrac in the rear because my XJ sees a lot of street time, and for reasons I don't quite yet understand, the Duratracs on my XJ suck for street traction especially in the rain. truetrac fixed the single spinning tire issue, and it will improve traction in dirt. I have no plans for any offroad that will be lifting a wheel off the ground, so I think a truetrac is fine for me at the rear. And I can always try the ebrake trick although I've heard varying opinions on whether it actually works.

The front is still open, and I'm debating whether to go truetrac there or an elocker. I like that a truetrac at the front will improve all around traction in the dirt, but I'm tempted by the elocker to get me full-locked traction at the front in unexpected situations. No plans for an auto-locker at the front. Doesn't appeal to me for snow driving.

Another factor seems to be whether there will be any snow driving. My general impression is that a locked axle in the snow, especially at the front, is a major handful.
Old January 29th, 2021, 11:27
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:

...... original poster of this thread indicated his front end has been locked for years, and that he has gone thru several steering systems, possibly because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I've had both ends lunchbox locked for a few years.

OP states automatic locking differentials, not spool or welded spider gears. Accident damage or abuse is the likely cause of OP's issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old January 29th, 2021, 11:33
NAXJA Member

Quote:
You will need to explain what a spobi is.
Stop Putting Out Bunk Information.

Quote:
at anyrate the original poster of this thread indicated his front end has been locked for years, and that he has gone thru several steering systems, possibly because of that.
If he is driving on dry pavement locked, well that can explain the steering damage.
OP never wrote anything about poor handling or issues driving on the street. He wrote that he was on his third steering gear, but you or I have no information about what kind of steering gears they were. 200k mile junkyard takeouts? Parts store reman? If he had put in two new PSC boxes, he probably would have indicated that (and probably wouldn't be having steering box issues). He also indicated the frame rail was messed up, yes, but that he had ripped off a bumper and had no steering box bracing or reinforcement previously. The steering box area is a long time know weak spot when wheeling hard.

Quote:
I suggest he use a selectable locker so he can unlock when on pavement, and I stand by that statement. otherwise he can go with a limited slip device, or go open diff. but if he wants to be fully locked, it needs to be selectable if he intends to turn corners on dry pavement.
Selectable lockers are nice, but NOT REQUIRED. I stand by that statement.

Try this: http://www.offroaders.com/technical/...ial-explained/

Quote:
Now what is wrong with that? Maybe you can explain otherwise without being rude? Id appreciate that. Thanks.
What's wrong is it's not true.

Quote:
My arb is only locked when needed on dirt, never on pavement, as driving on dry pavement locked will cause damage.
ARBs are swell. As I said, I have one in the back of the buggy, which will have no street miles ever. But, my old XJ had Aussie locker in the front and Detroit locker in the rear (when it had D30/D44) and had no "damage" "excess wear" "dangerous handling" etc.

Have you ever run an automatic locker in the front axle, or did the air locker salesman tell you that that's what you "have to" do?
Old January 29th, 2021, 12:11
NAXJA Forum User

The original guy says his front has been locked for years. If it is locked, it wont allow differential wheel speed, that maybe the problem of causing the steering gear damage.

He needs it unlocked for street use. Is that not correct?

Seems like his lunchbox locker is busted, keeping it locked all the time ("locked for years") if he wants to drive on the street he needs some way of it unlocking, be it automatically, or driver selectable, or go with an open diff., Is that not correct?
Old January 29th, 2021, 12:37
NAXJA Forum User

Hey man it's all in the wording... People say "locked" all the time.... This can be any combo of welded,spool, selectable,or ratchet.... I'd guess most often on an xj ppl are referring to a lunchbox locker due to price. These require no actuation and are always "locked" but they allow wheels to spin at different speeds. This all means when they (lunchbox or ratchet locker) are used with no power being sent to them (such as the front axle in 2wd on the street) they allow the wheels to turn independently... no steering damage comes from this. 4wd shouldn't be used on hard pack(high traction surfaces) at all.

With all this being said I run a cheap sylvan locker in the front on 35s..... The rear is an 8.8 with a factory lsd that has been repacked with junkyard clutches. On the street it is perfectly content. The ratcheting from the front doesn't bother me. My steering is also original with well over 300k on it....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old January 29th, 2021, 13:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowXj View Post
Hey man it's all in the wording... People say "locked" all the time.... This can be any combo of welded,spool, selectable,or ratchet.... I'd guess most often on an xj ppl are referring to a lunchbox locker due to price. These require no actuation and are always "locked" but they allow wheels to spin at different speeds. This all means when they (lunchbox or ratchet locker) are used with no power being sent to them (such as the front axle in 2wd on the street) they allow the wheels to turn independently... no steering damage comes from this. 4wd shouldn't be used on hard pack(high traction surfaces) at all.

With all this being said I run a cheap sylvan locker in the front on 35s..... The rear is an 8.8 with a factory lsd that has been repacked with junkyard clutches. On the street it is perfectly content. The ratcheting from the front doesn't bother me. My steering is also original with well over 300k on it....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey man it is in the wording, when I read "locked for years" I considered his axles were locked together for years, (i.e. his lunch box system was stuck locked all the time) which will cause problems when turning unless the road surface allows for tire slip.
For that someone used the word "ignorant" about me, rather than explaining that "locked for years" might possibly mean something else.

Time to ratchet this down, and get back to discussing why the original,poster is having damaged steering gear rather than tossing about insults, don't you think?

Now why is he going thru so many steering parts? Is his locker always locked, and does he drive it locked (meaning axles locked together) on the street? More info is needed to help diagnose the problem.
Old January 29th, 2021, 15:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Hey man it is in the wording, when I read "locked for years" I considered his axles were locked together for years, (i.e. his lunch box system was stuck locked all the time) which will cause problems when turning unless the road surface allows for tire slip.
For that someone used the word "ignorant" about me, rather than explaining that "locked for years" might possibly mean something else.

Time to ratchet this down, and get back to discussing why the original,poster is having damaged steering gear rather than tossing about insults, don't you think?

Now why is he going thru so many steering parts? Is his locker always locked, and does he drive it locked (meaning axles locked together) on the street? More info is needed to help diagnose the problem.
I don't think you are understanding (or are ignoring) the terms people generally use. My rig is locked= I have lockers. it does not mean your shafts are hard locked together like a spool 100% of the time. If you have a locker in front and are in 2WD, the locker will not lock the shafts together. You need power to the diff to activate a mechanical locker. Thousands and thousands of people drive around on the street locked (with lockers) with zero issue.
Old January 29th, 2021, 17:22
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowell View Post
I don't think you are understanding (or are ignoring) the terms people generally use. My rig is locked= I have lockers. it does not mean your shafts are hard locked together like a spool 100% of the time. If you have a locker in front and are in 2WD, the locker will not lock the shafts together. You need power to the diff to activate a mechanical locker. Thousands and thousands of people drive around on the street locked (with lockers) with zero issue.
I have a locker in the rear, but I don't refer to my rig as "locked" unless the locker is engaged.

If someone tells me they are driving a locked rig I am going to think they mean they are running a spool or a Lincoln (or Miller) locker.

I don't know if the variance is regional or personal, but I do not think it is safe to assume that if you tell someone your rig is "locked" they will understand that it is sometimes locked and sometimes not. More clarification is needed if you actually want people to understand.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox