NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 7th, 2021, 14:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Bumper/Receiver build and SFR shackles boxes

I hated to do it but the shackles are done(they make more). Along with that I got the interior bolts done and the gas fill protector trimmed and installed, it uses all the factory hardware.

Old February 7th, 2021, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

I like the button head cap screws for the bolts that go through into the cabin. Nice idea.

I was wondering if SRBs typically interfere with the fuel line shield. When I had my fuel line shield off to do a trailer hitch, I put foam strip between the leading edge of the shield and the body to keep dirt/mud from easily entering from the front side.
Old February 8th, 2021, 06:09
NAXJA Forum User

"The Never-ending Story"

It's kind of funny but last night I go out to dinner and on the way home I'm think about bragging about the quietest/smoothest ride it's been in 20yrs. As I am pulling back into the driveway and hit the curb, "Clunk"! I think I've got a loose shock bushing or worse yet the upper control arm bushings are shot so I have some new investigating to do today.
Old February 8th, 2021, 07:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I got the cut and fold done but it was a major PITA compared to the last one! Besides having to repair the body damage the panels were full of dried mud that had be fully cleaned to do the welding. I'm going to try to finish the bumper this week for a run, but I'm not going to rush things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
I like the button head cap screws for the bolts that go through into the cabin. Nice idea.

I was wondering if SRBs typically interfere with the fuel line shield. When I had my fuel line shield off to do a trailer hitch, I put foam strip between the leading edge of the shield and the body to keep dirt/mud from easily entering from the front side.
That won't any good, the uni-body and frame-rails have ton's of holes in them from the factory!
Old February 8th, 2021, 13:44
NAXJA Forum User

Went thru the entire XJ today(on the ground) and did not find anything. Time to put it on the lift and check. Meantime I checked all fluids and we are good to go there.
Old February 11th, 2021, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

My led license plate bolts are evidently lost in shipping so I had to get a little more creative. I moved the plate over 8" and added a little factory light reflector (the leds would have required some special wiring). The night pics don't do it justice!

Old February 13th, 2021, 03:10
NAXJA Forum User

If I did that I think I would see if I could use the license plate lights from a European/Export model.
Cause they have 2 for the longer plate.
The light on the left in that set up might end up being more over the plate.
Of course where you are going to find one is a whole other story.

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...5155613AC.html
Old February 13th, 2021, 06:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
If I did that I think I would see if I could use the license plate lights from a European/Export model.
Cause they have 2 for the longer plate.
The light on the left in that set up might end up being more over the plate.
Of course where you are going to find one is a whole other story.

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...5155613AC.html
What I did works perfectly as is with no desires to try some thing else. I actually received my led's last night so I'll save those for another project. The last thing I have to do (awaiting some more "internal frame coating") is paint the insides of the cut-n-fold and apply some seam sealer and then touch up all the factory paint.
Old Yesterday, 15:17
NAXJA Member

RCP, I was going through your post and pictures paying close attention to the strut on the tire carrier. The carrier on my new bumper go to far out and it scares me. I want to emulate your setup.

What length strut did you install? I need to get this done quickly. The carrier swing about 120* out from the bumper.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old Yesterday, 17:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
RCP, I was going through your post and pictures paying close attention to the strut on the tire carrier. The carrier on my new bumper go to far out and it scares me. I want to emulate your setup.

What length strut did you install? I need to get this done quickly. The carrier swing about 120* out from the bumper.
It is a 12" from "Boxi" on Amazon, part # 4513 and is rated at 110lbs.
Old Today, 08:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
It is a 12" from "Boxi" on Amazon, part # 4513 and is rated at 110lbs.
Great. I have Amazon Prime so I will go online and look at the offerings and choose a length that will work for me.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old Today, 09:01
NAXJA Forum User

This is what I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Today, 13:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
I do not know how to determine the amount of force needed. The struts are listed in pairs. Is the advertised pressure for both combined or per unit? How do you like the amount of force you use to open and close the carrier?

Although for me, the amount of force may not be that important. What I really need is for it to open at approximately 90* which will be less than it does at the moment. Reducing the speed at which it swings when on an incline is also important.

Old Today, 14:47
NAXJA Forum User

They are rated individually and I thought showing on a incline showing it's opening/holding capability was good enough for me and my tire.