NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 2nd, 2020, 21:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: If I can fit a ZJ fuel tank, anyone can (lots of accesssories)

Thanks, I have read this thread a few times wondering if I could make it work on my '96
Old July 3rd, 2020, 21:16
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320xj View Post
Thanks, I have read this thread a few times wondering if I could make it work on my '96
No the ZJ tank swap is for 97 up.
What you can do is modify the vent in the tank to get full capacity.
http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoFuelTank.htm
Old February 1st, 2021, 08:33
NAXJA Member

I can confirm that the ZJ gas tank WILL NOT fit with the JCR XJ gas tank skid plate. I needed to swap out my fuel pump and decided to do the ZJ gas tank mod at the same time. The skid plate is too narrow and would have to be cut and welded back together to actually work. I ended up having to keep my XJ tank.
Old February 1st, 2021, 11:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabronco View Post
I can confirm that the ZJ gas tank WILL NOT fit with the JCR XJ gas tank skid plate. I needed to swap out my fuel pump and decided to do the ZJ gas tank mod at the same time. The skid plate is too narrow and would have to be cut and welded back together to actually work. I ended up having to keep my XJ tank.
Is it just the width or are there other areas that would have to be dealt with?
Old February 1st, 2021, 12:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Is it just the width or are there other areas that would have to be dealt with?
ZJ tank will work with JCR skid, just needs opened up a bit... best 100 bucks for an extra 5 gallons.

Old February 1st, 2021, 12:48
NAXJA Member

Ron, I did consider trying to pry the skid plate wider with a jack, but ,one other problem that I saw I would face is that the side flanges of the tank butt right up against my shackle relocation bracket. Even if I tried to pry it wider or if the skid was cut, opened up, and re-welded I believe I would have had to cut the flange down substantially as well to make it fit in the space available. One thing that I read in one of the previous writeups is that the skid shifted 3/4" to the pass side as well. I am not sure there would be enough leeway on the pass side with the exhaust between the tank and the shackle for it to work either, but that is just a guess. With those observations, I decided it would be easier at this time to just keep the existing XJ tank in. If I get more free time at a later date I might revisit it, and take some time to see what I might do.
Old February 1st, 2021, 13:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
ZJ tank will work with JCR skid, just needs opened up a bit... best 100 bucks for an extra 5 gallons.

I'll have to revisit it again. I was using my buddies flat driveway to do the swap, and wanted to get it in and out of there. I'll have to see if I can move my bumper supports under the skid plate or modify them to make everything fit.
Old February 11th, 2021, 10:36
NAXJA Member

Since this thread has been bumped back to the top, has anyone tried this with any other aftermarket skids? I plan to do this swap and have an IRO skid plate I think.

I have not tried dropping the tank into the skid yet to see if it will fit. Both are sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed.
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old February 16th, 2021, 02:02
NAXJA Member

I put my ZJ gas tank in today. I have the JCR skid and tried to just use a high lift jack to bend it out like whitexj98. It wasnít bending too well so we thought it would be better to put some relief cuts in it and weld it back up

Modding the gas tank skid

After getting the gas tank in I put in around 3 1/2 gallons of gas and the gauge was reading 1/4 tank like XJeeper did on his conversion.
I doubt that the gauge will get much lower than that.
I am wondering if others have had their gauge read high after the mod, and if so what have they done to fix it? Anyone got any ideas on what might be done other than dropping the tank again and bending the arm?
Old February 16th, 2021, 05:58
NAXJA Forum User

The gauge doesn't see any different readings, it just won't come off of "full" for a couple days or longer.
Old February 16th, 2021, 07:16
NAXJA Forum User

I can't tell you for sure that it's the factory setting, but from the day it rolled off the showroom floor to now, 5 gallons (on a totally empty tank) just makes the low fuel light go off and the gauge reads just above 1/8th.
Old February 16th, 2021, 07:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I can't tell you for sure that it's the factory setting, but from the day it rolled off the showroom floor to now, 5 gallons (on a totally empty tank) just makes the low fuel light go off and the gauge reads just above 1/8th.
Ron, thatís how mine use to be till after the swap. I had a completely empty zj tank and I put in only around 3.5-4 gallons of gas from my fuel can. Now with only close to 3.5 gallons in the tank the gauge reads 1/4 tank. I donít think the fuel warning light will even come on anymore. Did you experience this as well?
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabronco View Post
Ron, thatís how mine use to be till after the swap. I had a completely empty zj tank and I put in only around 3.5-4 gallons of gas from my fuel can. Now with only close to 3.5 gallons in the tank the gauge reads 1/4 tank. I donít think the fuel warning light will even come on anymore. Did you experience this as well?
No, it sounds like the arm does some adjusting, but that's a lot of work!
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

If you should decide to go that route, I could dis-assemble my stock tank/sender and measure the float drop.
Old February 16th, 2021, 14:54
NAXJA Member

I went out this morning and found this - FML

Either my vent extension is too high, or my pump seal is crap or both. I followed RCPPhx's guide for the vent height, so I am not sure. I am not looking forward to dropping the tank AGAIN.