• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AEM 50-1220 320lph E85 compatible fuel pump

sidewaysstarion

Coffee Drinker
NAXJA Member
I figured I might as well document this in case anyone needs a drop in upgrade high flow pump for their 97+ XJ.

2y52qLEX4rSlMGRZz4zX4t0ANtGcRLa847m7C2OyJ-CtJR6q8MJZ4_GMN-NSVmvRVBKLyCobUAhOu9Etsp1SS-FHnrdxw188jytownYmsOWdQtZnD2u3WBvyqxVRNzfKZpXq488_lkA=w1200

Pump part number

xWRofpiUJbyI_B__yCY5LYPTJ6h0K8DTj8j8AdP2JC7lzSE-W5-Ug1AcAt_3KifFHBhv8ONI7H-ykKvKNtoJfph1d_qysDYGWKDYE27Y3qnJd_48nv3Rye3YMveXZr38axpNi0K6QdU=w1200

Filter for the bottom of the pump.

DBGf3ihDxBq5VLCnksE2cQldPLA4pfsLtYcMyBVmZ5zY4otvkRKZH9Sg1tZvMl8cOkbRxt09zeY6oOdK3zsBBzm4EkUbKPMO3T1-ZnSorVkD7GFozQWtIJ1unAuUwpDWsEoS2BSJOU0=w1200

Txy4XEG6BGqabHQqeGFhdTP1ycluTwTixMn6QHu_poLKlJ9u-b_sptzIg92puUvZBhHo-Mgb5ep_xRyFYH-T7yZtzL1kRZVaF6e9wsgdTydoXlRs5_ZvrZliBf_GRWaUZzF_xxHqs8M=w1200

-k2WRHkiMpNlgcGzeuLuyE5LAR6MZ-EN9op-W0OK_Vs1Bt0TzYqPp1nXtY9U1N1I41k0aL7ZAESN739hIwqzLMBtKKhLivOsD3WqRtMgWH5CComUOcjCKsgvy9BmV1WTHhCoU515t5I=w1200

aAHwKsaEMK2aU9NYrbE5t79KPRFSCFz1_3CGPX0M7BYIAdJytYgCEEQQ3-iu6tKyUrCDtHErb6pWDhT8GdOQISjKl6Pdwzvx5f3CmaZWVBFzOApN8-AVKzuUrQWOlPsApJfS1kw5tXA=w1200

pvo7RtdWDVN-GM8zPHl938Q0jEdOd_SwGSokYE3zSNBqIzXKhBcGUr61ZCTrv-tqW_0Ne4TA5RxbGCMK8lbZNU8JITO754rm2BpRbV94vQxHFKp6uu1X-v3p1S7AJ6ECivzvdVDyAlw=w1200

KiMf-LLdxhxQZcAhev0wVbZhiT37xXkyB7XpxhZ_25Dong0hIs_6FuFdlbGX8jA9ktiRAWJkfAtVw3wJm9JiTVXQt9UYGmSA_gQFh9tvYURVWujnD4_nud-jVZ_0Ltp5hsKgSF5JbdY=w1200

Sooo I realize this is a ancient thread, and Im shocked that no one even commented on it. But so my question to the OP (if he even frequents this board anymore lol) is did you also replace the fuel filter that is also on the sending unit? did you bypass it and run a external filter? how has this worked out for you now that you've got some miles on it?

im at the beginning stages of doing a mean stroker build and am considering the Walbro 255 pump. Im just having a hard time spending $130 on a new sending unit assy. and another $100+ on another new fuel pump too.

Sooo I realize this is a ancient thread, and Im shocked that no one even commented on it. But so my question to the OP (if he even frequents this board anymore lol) is did you also replace the fuel filter that is also on the sending unit? did you bypass it and run a external filter? how has this worked out for you now that you've got some miles on it?

im at the beginning stages of doing a mean stroker build and am considering the Walbro 255 pump. Im just having a hard time spending $130 on a new sending unit assy. and another $100+ on another new fuel pump too.

I'm still around :looney:

When I did the swap I eliminated the stock fuel filter in favor of a corvette fuel filter/regulator in prep for an LS swap. But with the stock filter/regulator, I don't see why this pump wouldn't work just fine.

Also I drove around for quite a while with this setup and place with the stock 4.0 and worked rather well, it just ran a little rich when the ecu was in open loop because the corvette fuel pressure regulator runs at a higher pressure.

I didn't comment on the thread but I used the info when I did my swap.

I run this pump with a new stock regulator setup. Works great.

Thanks for the writeup Mark! I just swapped this pump into my 2000 XJ because of fuel delivery problems after my stroker build. It looks exactly like the stock pump and is an easy swap. One thing I found out in looking for a pump for my XJ is that the Walbro pump WAL-GSS342G3-766 that is said on some sites to be a 255lph replacement for 1995-2001 XJ's is not. The body of the pump is longer as well as the bottom config is different than the stock 97+ pump. The AEM pump is the one to go with. I recommend that anyone who is doing a stroker build look into this swap, since our stock pumps have a problem keeping up on the high end, with bigger injectors.

before-and-after-fuel-pump-replaced-with-320lph-AEM.png

Is there any reason this would not be a compatible pump for '96 and down?

Just looking at pictures from when I dealt with my fuel pump assembly it looks like this might at least be compatible with a '96.

Back