• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knee Surgery

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Mom's going in to have her right knee redone on friday. Guess the doctor not only works on White Sox and Bulls players, but also has royalty fly in to get worked on and has developed a replacement knee designed specifically for women too!

Awesome! ish

Too bad she has to have it done, at least its by someone that is good.

I can tell you she will feel so much better afterwards. I had my hip done, and all too often I forget about it and act like its not there, gonna bite me in the ass sooner or later.

She'd been spooked by the prospect because when my Grandfather had it done, he was in pain for the rest of his life, luckily she talked to one of her older sisters who also had the work done a year or so ago and is now completely different from the way she was prior to her surgery. Dad is taking a few weeks of work to take care of her and I'll be there when not at work myself (still live at home:eek: ) to help. It's really been getting to her the past couple weeks and she's more than ready for it!

Best of luck to her, hope it goes well.

I had a torn meniscus disk in my right knee - from an old skiing accident.
It has been getting worse, and I finally got knee surgery in May of 2007.
I was walking without support in three days.
And while I can't say that the pain is completely gone, it feels much-much better.

The surgery itself was cool. They took a DVD of it that I watched later.
They made two small holes under my kneecap and inserted a lighted-camera and a tool.
My knee was filled with re-circulating fluid - so there wasn't much blood at all.

When I want to get rid of unexpected company who comes to visit, I just pull out the DVD and say "Wanna watch my knee surgery?" :D

RTicUL8 said:
I had a torn meniscus disk in my right knee - from an old skiing accident.
It has been getting worse, and I finally got knee surgery in May of 2007.
I was walking without support in three days.
And while I can't say that the pain is completely gone, it feels much-much better.

The surgery itself was cool. They took a DVD of it that I watched later.
They made two small holes under my kneecap and inserted a lighted-camera and a tool.
My knee was filled with re-circulating fluid - so there wasn't much blood at all.

When I want to get rid of unexpected company who comes to visit, I just pull out the DVD and say "Wanna watch my knee surgery?" :D

training injury instead of skiing, and I never got a DVD... otherwise exact same thing.

she will really enjoy the freedom of having a working knee again.

best of luck to her, but sounds like she is in good hands.

When I want to get rid of unexpected company who comes to visit, I just pull out the DVD and say "Wanna watch my knee surgery?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA, that is good!

She's got no cartilage left in her right knee and it' been dragging down on her left one and was even having back problems earlier this week from it. I talked to a brain surgeon I know through work and this doctor is one of only two that he'd have to the work on him! Right now she getting bored with TV and she still has to call the hospital to even find out when she needs to go in tomorrow (she was told to call at 2pm today.) Thanks guys!

She got out of surgery and recovery ok and should be released monday morning! She did have elevated BP and Suger levels (she is diabetic) as well as an odd extra heart beat (low magnisium levels) so they're going to keep an eye on that while she is there. By the time we left (we got there at 10:45am and left around 8:45pm, yes it was a long day) the meds had her trying to fall asleep on more than one occasion. I'm going to stop by after work and visit her.

moms away for the weekend? What time's the party start??

jk- I'm sure you're all glad to have it done, she's in our prayers for a quick and complete recovery.

She is having the knee surgery REDONE What happened at the first surgery? Wish the very best for your mom.

My dad just got out of Surgery. He dropped his bike and broke the top of his tibia into about 30 pieces right below the knee. Mom just texted me a pic of his x-ray and saying that it looks like an erector set is a huge understatement.

The good side is that it is all internal, he will not need a linked external cage, just a removable immobilizer. The doctor also said that he is very happy with how smooth he was able to get the top surface, and he only had to remove a little cartilage. He will probably get a total knee replacement in 5 or more years.

All in all he was very lucky and unlucky, 20mph crash, greenstick broke his collarbone, 2 ribs and his leg. Little to no road rash, bike actually came out ok, dings in the tailpipe and footpegs, a few scratches. No head injury.

There was an on-duty ambulance 2 cars behind him, which was pretty handy.

Went to visited her after work today, the staff is going to try and lower some of her pain killers some. I was there for an hour and she probably fell asleep almost 2 dozen times! We'd be talking and she'd start saying things that either made no sense or had nothing to do with what we're talking about, then she'd start mumbling and then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ or one of the hospital staff would be talking to us regarding her meds and she'd start blinking, nodding and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Hopefully she'll be a little more coherent when I visit tomorrow

wolfpackjeeper said:
My dad just got out of Surgery. He dropped his bike and broke the top of his tibia into about 30 pieces right below the knee. Mom just texted me a pic of his x-ray and saying that it looks like an erector set is a huge understatement.

The good side is that it is all internal, he will not need a linked external cage, just a removable immobilizer. The doctor also said that he is very happy with how smooth he was able to get the top surface, and he only had to remove a little cartilage. He will probably get a total knee replacement in 5 or more years.

All in all he was very lucky and unlucky, 20mph crash, greenstick broke his collarbone, 2 ribs and his leg. Little to no road rash, bike actually came out ok, dings in the tailpipe and footpegs, a few scratches. No head injury.

There was an on-duty ambulance 2 cars behind him, which was pretty handy.

Yikes, sounds pretty bad as it is! Good that he did have an ambulance that close too. Hope it works out well for them.

Back