• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

excessive idle

rocklobster87

NAXJA Forum User
97 ZJ, 4.0, auto. Purchased this vehicle non running and found pcm to be faulty. Had the local jy track one down for me and swapped it in, and the jeep then ran and drove perfectly. I drove it for a few days, no codes, no issues of any kind. I pressure washed under the hood briefly and drove some more. The next morning i went to turn it on and the idle raced to 2500 rpm and remained there. Checked for vac leaks. When i remove the intake pipe and block part of the iac passage in the tb i can make it idle normally. Swapped in a known good iac from same gen 4.0 and found it to make no difference. With one iac in the tb, and another plugged into the harness and in m hand, engine idling at 2500 the plunger makes no outward movement as it should to block the passage, but instead just clicks once every few seconds. I checked the 4 wires to the pcm for continuity and all were fine. At this point im assuming some part of the IAC driver circuit must be malfunctioning within the pcm, can anyone think of anything else that might cause this? Thanks in advance,
-james

Wet TPS = idle/ trans problems.

Agree, good place to start.

Might want to check and see if you knocked off any vacuum lines when pressure washing.

Last edited:
thanks guys, im new to this forum which is why i accidentally posted this in the tow rigs forum and not oem tech, but im glad it still fell on some experienced minds.

thanks guys, im new to this forum which is why i accidentally posted this in the tow rigs forum and not oem tech, but im glad it still fell on some experienced minds.

Actually, you got moved from OEM to this forum because your rig is a ZJ, not an XJ/MJ--ergo "Other Tech".

Back