• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detach transmission, what is needed?

SurplusFan98

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I fell into a VERY cheap 98 2WD XJ that runs in spite of the transmission catching fire (these things are AMAZING). I'm handy, but not necessarily a car guru. Want to fix this thing up for my daughter who needs a semi-dependable vehicle.

My question is: what all is needed to decouple the transmission from the engine so that I can work on the engine safely without engaging the trans (or while it is removed)? The transmission, due to the fire, is very likely garbage (as is the wiring harness). Its going to be a minute before I can replace it. In the meantime, I'd like to get the engine in good working order while its in my driveway. I just don't think I can work on it at all unless I can isolate it from the transmission.

Side note: I'm in the market for 98 XJ wiring if anyone knows where I can get that for cheap without pulling it from the junk yard...

The starter bolts to the transmission so the only way to start and run it would be to pull the torque converter. As for the wiring harnesses it's the junk yard or make your own.

The starter bolts to the transmission so the only way to start and run it would be to pull the torque converter. As for the wiring harnesses it's the junk yard or make your own.

Yep. Researching the harness now and that's pretty much what I'm learning. I did find one on Ebay for the same year/engine/transmission, but it came off a TJ. I don't know for sure how compatible they are. At essentially $200 and no returns, I don't want to be wrong...

As for the trans, thanks for that advise. What about the cooling lines? Can I just plug those?

I'm, still wondering how you set a transmission on fire. Oil leak that go on the exhaust or converter? Seized up internally somehow? I half way suspect once you fix the damaged wiring, the trans will actually be fine.

You could just unbolt the t/c and push it back, but I wouldn't trust it not to hit the flexplate and tear it up. If you pull the trans altogether, then you don't have anything supporting the engine from tipping for/aft either.

Xj won't run without a tranny, nothing to hold the cps. Also unbolting the tc is not wise; other than it could easily scoot forward and ruin the flexplate a 50+ pound tc full of fluid acts as a damper- without it you could have excessive engine vibration and damage something.

Expect to need a special socket to remove the top two bolts on the transmission.

They are an inverse Torx. Searching online it looks like they should be an E12.

I'm honestly not sure if the trans caught fire or not. I assumed it did based on where the fire was. It came up from the trans along the wiring harness and melted the hoses to the heater core.

Got any pics? I wonder if the cat converter got hot enough to start a fire? If the trans cooler lines wore through, they could leak oil. If the fire was on that side, the NSS and maybe the plastic pieces where the cooler lines stab into the trans would be damaged.

Back