• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube bender input

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Yo Jeep fam!
I'm finally looking at bending tube for an internal roll cage, tube fenders, and roof rack. Looking for value... it won't be used a whole lot more than just my jeep and a maybe a side project or 2- so doesn't need to be a custom 4x4 shop type of durability or what not.
Looking at Amazon (runs the world) and there are plenty of options.

SO, whatchya got? Whatchya like? What should I NOT get??

Thanks yall!

This guy looks like it fits the bill?

Looks like a knock-off of a JD2 bender, but reviews say you can't use the JD2 dies. Have to buy the Woodward dies.

Given that it is a knock-off of a proven design it will probably do what you want it to.

I would check C/L for a used bender first.

Thats a solid idea... I have no clue who the top brands are in this dept tbh. Whats a good middle of the pack type of brand Reviews? Don't need a Mercedes, but a nice trusty Jeep brand is good! Yaaaa, reviews n that guy were a little all over the place

I guess a goal would be to have the bender with mount and at least 2 dies and some dom to make fenders under a grand would be nice.
I hate the plastic bushwhacker junk I'm rocking currently.

I've had my JD2 for almost 20yrs, it's the dies and accessories that add up.

I've had my JD2 for almost 20yrs, it's the dies and accessories that add up.

What other than 2 dies would I need? Can a stand and what not be built?

A used JD2 would likely be your best value, but would still be expensive.

Check out AffordableBender.com.

Also, I have no experience with this, so take that with a grain of salt.

Thats more than I have already! Thanks for the link!

I have 50yrs of bending experience and I can "f" up a hundred dollars worth of steel in a heartbeat. The real question would be do you have any experience and "is this a one-time thing" or can you make it a worthwhile investment?

JD2 is a solid, reliable middle of the road option. In fact, if you look at the really big picture, JD2 is far closer to the low end than the high end. But the high end is CNC mandrel benders which cost about the same as a house.

Something else in favor of the JD2 is the aftermarket support for it. Take a look at SWAG Offroad and you will find a variety of upgrades you can add at some point down the line should you wish.

And there is also the resale value down the line to consider.

Most that buy a bender do not re-sale them do to the investment. Things to consider - tube is not the same as pipe and dies come in different radii and degrees. You can do a simple project with only a couple but you need to choose based on what going to be needed and the accessories are things to keep your angles perfect (the angle itself and the relation to any other bends in the same piece). I used to have a Greenlee "flip-top" for speed/production at the shop and they certainly do not come cheap

Pipe is inside dia. Tube is outside diameter.

Pipe flows shit, tube is structural.

5 or 8 years ago I bought i jd32. Like rcp I ruined alot of tube taught myself how to bend. Did a few projects without much waste. Then thinking I had it figured out I promptly ruined more tube.

Jd32 was 900 something with a 180 1 3/4 tube die.
I recently found I can also bend 1.25" sch40 pipe is is slightly smaller than 1.75 tube.

When I bought it the 180 die was pretty spendy I think mines a 5.5clr. (Center line radius)

99% of the time a bend passed 90 is hardly needed. But that 1% has been a game changer makes the die very versatile

I plan to keep ruining tube on acasion so the jd32 is a good investment for me for the long term.

I have no experience with any other benders.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A bender has been on my tool wish list for ever. As others have said JD2 is a great bender. The one part I don't like about them is they have to mounted to the ground and the orientation of the bend (horizontal vs vertical). It's still a great bender. In any case I would suggest a air/hydraulic power one.

This is a DIY one but a solid set up
http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

This is similar to the got trikes but already built and he's in Greely
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PDR-tube-bender-tube-bender-pro-tools-/124540864031

Swag mount
https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Formed-Tubing-Bender-AirHydraulic-Ram-Mount_p_53.html

Swag mount is awesome, I don't use mine a ton but its sooo much nicer to not have to anchor the base down and just flip a switch to bend.

This is a pro tools I picked up used for $100 with 1, 1.25" die, but as mentioned the money is in the dies. The 1.75" was over $500, Pro tools is more costly though, all USA made.

Km44wsyl.jpg

I have 50yrs of bending experience and I can "f" up a hundred dollars worth of steel in a heartbeat. The real question would be do you have any experience and "is this a one-time thing" or can you make it a worthwhile investment?

I thought I listed all of my goals... but ya not looking to make a profession out of tube bending. I want to learn enough to be proficient. Twist up some fenders, redesign my front bumper, either make a cage or add to a kit, and a roof rack. The ability for ram assist mount and shock/ coilover hoops sort of thing.

Start with fenders and learn. I have a junky hf welder and while a millermatic or whatever is cool I'm not investing nor interested in having my own custom shop. That said no I don't have experience, but it isn't rocket science. I guess I've messed with a hf bender and know enough that it isn't what I want to destroy tube with lol

Last edited:
Definitely dig the swag mount, I've seen them used a lot as well.

With tube fenders and a cage the goals, couldn't I get away with just one size of tube? A roof rack would be smaller, and likely can get away with square even, so less of a priority. Add dies as needed is my thinking.. small projects such as fenders and bumper redesign to learn the ropes.

I also am aware of the price of metal being stupid these days. Also not prepared for proper coping atm, so another area to address eventually.

You can cope with a grinder.

I like 1 3/4" tube. Maybe bug for some stuffbut just right for most things.
Can get 1.25sch40 at the plumbing stores to practice on. It also makes good long arms.

I've read that you can make sleeves
1 3/4x 120. Bend a 45 cut the tube in half then use it to sleeves the die to bend smaller tube inside it.

Though I've never tried it.

Sounds like you have prepared yourself for this so it is totally feasible!

Back