• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake manifold heat shield

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 that has bad heat soak issues -- while doing some work I decided to add a heat shield for under the intake manifold -- Hopefully it helps some

picture.php

picture.php

Here it is mounted on a spare intake manifold I used to design off of
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The heat reflector tape finally showed up -- While I was waiting I added another piece to deflect heat from the fuel line that runs under the manifold

picture.php

I cleaned the aluminum with acetone before installing the heat reflector

picture.php

picture.php

Just an update — custom heat shield and DEI fuel rail and injector wrap have been installed

I’m happy to report that this has seemed to cure my heat soak issues while running — no more dying while sitting in traffic

Before the heat shields this XJ couldn’t be left running while stopped for more than a few minutes once warmed up in 70* weather — the fuel would vaporize in the fuel rail/injectors

During this past 95* heatwave I purposely left the engine running while stopped multiple times — no issues, just keeps running

I did also install an E fan manual override switch just in case — haven't needed to use it while the engine is running

Nice.

Next you need to add another shield on top. A burrito warmer. I understand the Renix motors came factory with burrito warmers.

The heat reflector tape finally showed up -- While I was waiting I added another piece to deflect heat from the fuel line that runs under the manifold

Looks very good, I made a small shield years ago when I lived in Phoenix. 120 degree days and the pavement is radiating 160-180 up at the vehicle doesn't go well for these 4.0s.

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it installed.

For those of you who have added the DEI Adhesive backed wrap ,how's this holding up ?
Did anyone add any additional strap?

I know, thread necromancy. Heavyopp, did you ever get this thing installed? I'm wondering what it mounts to. Does it just hang on the vacuum ports on the outside? I'd be worried it would just rattle like all hell.

oh so he did. Well Heavyopp, if you happen to see this I'd love an update after 18 months. I'm having to re-do my gasket and I'm trying to get everything possible involving heat and heat soak sorted before I take the plunge. I live in a city so there's no long garage projects for me, gotta do it parked on the street over one weekend.

If you are just trying to better prevent vapor lock, it will help to attach the gold reflective material under the intake manifold so that it closes up all the openings between the intake runners. You could also consider sandwiching some high temp insulator sheet between the intake manifold and the gold reflector. Maybe confine the high temp insulator to leave a 1/2" border around the bottom of the intake manifold and run the gold reflector up the sides of the intake manifold. And leave some strategic holes in the high temp insulator in the interior region under the manifold so that it the gold reflector can stick to a few points under the manifold. Definitely something that can be done in about an hour.

https://www.designengineering.com/form-a-shield-12-x-21/

Back