• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake With Heat Shield Thread

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
This is what I did after running a rustys air tube for a while. In my opinion the air tube is sucking in to much hot air form the manifold if you feel the filter and the tube after running for a bit you can not even touch it it is so hot. After I made the new intake the filter only gets hot when you are parked and ideling for a bit. It feels like tha engine runs smoother as well.

1.What you will need is a pc of 3 in PVC (3 1/2 OD) 8in long and a *45 elbow.
2. A pc of sheet metal big enough for the shield and a cone filter that will fit over the PVC.
3. Some type of seal for the top of the shield. I used one from K&N
4. A pc of door trim the u type for around the hole where the tube goes

You will need to ream out the end of the stock ribbed tube to fit the PVC.
I made a bracket that bolts to one of the airbox bolts and attaches to the tube with a hose clamp that holds it in place.

The Shield was made out of a sheet of duct material from lowes it is thin and easy to bend and make fit the way you need. What I did was cut about an inch over on all sides and bent and pressed the ends over for strength also used rivits to hold it all tight.

You will have to figure out where the hole needs to go for the tube it is ok if the hole is bigger it will allow for movement of the tube with out hitting the shield. I also used an L braket on the tab at the bottom for some strength.
You will need to drill a hole where the air box was bolted I also used another smaller bolt to hold it from twisting. Two more small bolts where used on the seem on the wheel well the holes are already on the lip.
All the work and i think it was worth it has to benefit from taking in more cold air.
On the 97+ models you will want to remove the plastic cap on the front behind the headlight so more cold air will flow through.
You may have to trim a little as the template is a little rough but will fit nice in the end.:wow:

If you need any more info let me know.
Template2.jpg

Back