• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What "U" Joint Size

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
For those who have installed the D44 from the JK Rubicon, What U joint did you use, 1310 or 1350? I need to get some U bolt yoke.

I am also hoping to use the existing drive shaft.

You can get hybrid ujoints if the yoke is 1350 and the driveshaft is 1310

I've never touched or seen a jeep 44 so have no idea what size the yokes are.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If 1350 is an option go with 1350. They’re much stronger than a 1310 and if a U joint goes you’ll run the risk of ruining the ears of your driveshaft.

assuming your talking about the pinion... from the factory they used a rzeppa driveline, similar to a CV with a flange.swap the pinion for what ever you want. 1310 is more than enough for the torque load, 1350 if you feel the need to go bigger. the strength gain is marginal for 1330 and you lose misalignment angle. a conversion joint is typically weaker. and i always recommend a yoke with u bolts rather than straps.

assuming your talking about the pinion... from the factory they used a rzeppa driveline, similar to a CV with a flange.swap the pinion for what ever you want. 1310 is more than enough for the torque load, 1350 if you feel the need to go bigger. the strength gain is marginal for 1330 and you lose misalignment angle. a conversion joint is typically weaker. and i always recommend a yoke with u bolts rather than straps.

I want to remove the rzeppa flange and install a regular 1310 yoke with U bolts. That is what I have right now on the XJ D44 I am about to replace. In addition, I also need to get the spring perches, shock mounts and brakes. A pinion yoke seal change while I am replacing the yoke.

Have anyone kept that rzeppa and installed a regular U joint with it? I doubt it is possible but who knows. It is not something I want to do for sure.

looking at tom woods sight, it looks like they offer a flange adapter. personally i would swap it out for a traditional yoke. flange adapters stand pretty tall, essentially shortening your driveline.

spend the extra couple buck on a yoke.

here is a thread where a buddy of mine swapped JK44s, might give you some ideas for parts to buy and issues he ran into. go as mild or wild as you want.
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1158884

looking at tom woods sight, it looks like they offer a flange adapter. personally i would swap it out for a traditional yoke. flange adapters stand pretty tall, essentially shortening your driveline.

spend the extra couple buck on a yoke.

here is a thread where a buddy of mine swapped JK44s, might give you some ideas for parts to buy and issues he ran into. go as mild or wild as you want.
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1158884

Thanks VA. I book marked it because I also have a JK D44 front to put under the XJ but that will be a little while. :read:

And that answered my question on the yoke. :cheers:

Back