• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Supercharged 4.4 Stroker build

FatSlobBob

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all!

So I stumbled across a beautiful '98 recently. Pristine exterior and interior, silver on black. New 2" lift, 31" tires, steel front and rear bumpers, roof rack, TruckLite headlights.

The coolest part is the guy used 505 Performance to create a supercharged 4.4 stroker. The engine bay is super clean, all work professionally done.

Does anyone know about the reliability of a FI XJ stroker motor? I know 505 is a trusted company when it comes to Jeep performance. Anyone have experience in this realm?

I know the guy hasn't upgraded the stock brakes, which I assumed would be necessary with the added weight of bigger tires/bumpers plus a lot more power.

Those guys are right down the street from me, it may have been a kit but they do not make that size motor.

It's your call but when I built my stroker, I went with Russ at BB!

Yeah, after some searching it seems half of the stroker owners has theirs blow up and the other half swears by them. Kinda goes by the saying that applies to everything, "some people like them, some people don't."

DEQ in my area would put a stop to me owning it. Doesn't have a cat and I have no clue if it would pass even if it did

I have 240K+ miles on my 4.7L stroker. Been building motors for 50 years.

I see lots of people throwing strokers together with a mismatch of parts, not understanding how they work together in realtime. The renix computer has a lot of problems dealing with the change in displacement and injectors, etc. I spent a lot of dyno time trying to figure out how to overcome it. I finally installed an AFR and was able to see what was happening. It is way too easy to either run way to too rich or lean. Adjusting it is touchy, even with a MAP sensor adjuster.

Doing this with forced induction is even more tricky. I say this to simply say, you need someone who KNOWS what they are doing, or.... get lucky.

Last edited:
Back