• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ 'n' '04 TJ front axle assembly. Good Marriage?

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
Front axle meaning tire to tire. Continuing with my XJ 2wd to 4x4 concerns: I've found a very conveniently located '04 TJ D-30. Plug and play, or hammer, weld and heal?

Front axle meaning tire to tire. Continuing with my XJ 2wd to 4x4 concerns: I've found a very conveniently located '04 TJ D-30. Plug and play, or hammer, weld and heal?

I have a ZJ in my '00 XJ. Got it for the 3.73 gearing. Basically, the same as a TJ's. They have an adjustable lower control arm brackets. Just need to get the cam bolts that go with those. It can be an 'upgrade'. A bit easier for alignment shops to adjust those, or at least know what to do with them. Some don't know what to do with the XJs adjustments, from what I hear. I replaced the stock ones with RE lower front adjustable brackets. I have some ARES that were going to go in there. Saving them for another build.

I have a ZJ in my '00 XJ. Got it for the 3.73 gearing. Basically, the same as a TJ's. They have an adjustable lower control arm brackets. Just need to get the cam bolts that go with those. It can be an 'upgrade'. A bit easier for alignment shops to adjust those, or at least know what to do with them. Some don't know what to do with the XJs adjustments, from what I hear. I replaced the stock ones with RE lower front adjustable brackets. I have some ARES that were going to go in there. Saving them for another build.
Thank you. So the short answer is, "yes it will work w/o welding and hammering?".

The down side is it's a LP D30.

XJ axles are common as dirt, most are high pinion, not too difficult to find the correct gear ratio, and probably similar to around here, less expensive than TJ parts.

The down side is it's a LP D30.

This.

Yes it will bolt right in. More or less the same axle that came in the 00/01 XJ.

Unless its a screaming deal I'd wait and find a high pinion 30.

Last edited:
Noted. 'round here, sand, sugar sand, mud and clay are what 4X4's have to contend with. In those conditions, is the LP much of a down side -- not smarting off, looking to learn. And thanks.

While it sounds like the driveshaft clearance of the HP isn't a concern to you, a LP is a weaker axle vs the HP due to the gear engagement pattern.

I would like the added strength in mud, though a lot of this depends on how hardcore your use is.

...a LP is a weaker axle vs the HP due to the gear engagement pattern.

^This.

A low pinion axle is essential a rear axle turned around and driven in reverse. Therefore, it drives on the coast side of the ring gear (backwards). A high pinion axle flips the axle and using a reverse ring gear, it engages on the drive side of the ring gear (stronger).

Last edited:
A low pinion axle is essential a rear axle turned around and driven in reverse. Therefore, it drives on the coast side of the ring gear (backwards). A high pinion axle flips the axle and using a reverse ring gear, it engages on the drive side of the ring gear (stronger).

Better explanation.

You should have gone for the ‘95 XJ axle that we wrote pages about.

Now, if the donor is a 4.0L/auto and the recipient is a 4.0L/auto, the gears will not match. 2.4L/manual or 4.0L/manual they should match.

Back