• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

first aid kit and fire extinguisher mount suggestions

Rcfan37

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

so my 97 xj is almost done i say almost because if it says jeep on the front i don t think you can ever call it done lol

anyway i need suggestions for a first aid kit and fire extinguisher mount

that wont break the bank but still get the job done while we are out off roading

j have looked at the my medic and outer limit supply offerings and while they are nice they are kinda spendy so hoping for something a little cheaper but still
functional if something goes wrong
as to the extinguisher mount i have a 2-1/2 lb bottle for the jeep but no way to mount it
any suggestions would be great thanks for the help
rcfan37

For my first aid kit I have a day trip kit that I picked up from a camping supply store, augmented with a few items that I think are likely to be useful, all stored in a cubby pouch from Omega Mill: https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Storage-Bag/dp/B014X039ZK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&m=AOSVNEP42K32R&qid=1606448016&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2

A nice thing about that pouch is that it can be removed in its entirety from the vehicle. In the event of an emergency someone can just grab the entire bag and go. No need to empty it out to get one item. The pouch is held in place by heavy duty velcro. I have had mine in place for several years and have yet to have the velcro show signs of giving up.

Minor but relevant aside, my most recent addition to my first aid kit is Clozex Emergency Laceration Closures--essentially a way to apply adhesive stitches to a deep cut. Not something that is likely to come in any off the shelf FAK, but something that could prove invaluable out on the trail.

For my fire extinguisher mount, five years ago I built this setup: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1121781
That is still serving me well, but I have since augmented it with a magnetic mount Element fire extinguisher: https://elementfire.com

Do a youtube search for Jay Leno and Element Fire Extinguisher. These things have a remarkably long run time for their size and should make less of a mess than the typical ABC type.

I will probably continue to run both types of fire extinguishers because many group runs require that you carry an extinguisher with a gauge showing its fill condition. The Element fire extinguisher will not meet that requirement even though it is a superior unit to those that most folks are carrying. I doubt that situation will change anytime soon.

Edit to add: This question probably would be better placed in the "Modified" section.

Being a foster parent im required to have a first aid kit, mine fits nicely in the behind the seat pocket; being a mail carrier ive often thought of carrying a fire extinguisher. I'm surprised we aren't required to have one. The LLV's have to have one, but they are also fairly fire prone!

something like this might work....
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-2...f3c98a4739af1c3a7215d58024fb13f4&gclsrc=3p.ds

If you dont own a Kiddie brand, cross check with the maker online for the correct mount, or bring it to the Home Depot and test fit the Kiddie brand mount on it.

I bought one as above, and mounted between door sill and driver seat on floor in my 1990. out of the way, but quickly accessed, and I can easily see the gage. When you got a car fire, seconds count, have it placed for quickest use, inside near the driver door is arguably the best choice here short of an exterior mount. You don't want to run to the hatch in back, or shuffle thru cargo, or have to move the seat to grab the extinguisher. You can grab it on your way out of the driver seat or grab it from outside the jeep by simply opening the driver door, and it is right there in front of who ever needs it.

dont let extinguishers lay loose, they may move around or be bumped. If the handle is bumped from rolling around, it can loosen the seal and cause the nitrogen to leak out. for this reason you need to secure the extinguisher. I have saved a burning car with an extinguisher. Had I failed, the heavily wooded location likely would have turned into a wildfire. Always have a good extinguisher, and bigger is best.

Be fire aware!

Back