• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good rock rails?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched but I've not found an answer that stastifies me. I was wondering what would be a good rock rail/armor? I'm looking at the c4x4 one.. the double tube, it looks good but I'm concerned about the amount of protection it can offer. I know the sliderz from kevins? Is good, but I'd like other options here. :)

I've ordered a set from C4x4 because of a recommendation from a wheelin buddy. I like them cause they have a square main tube and a round tube that angles upwards to protect even more.

Another place that you could go for cheaper ones could be AJ's offroad armor. Have no experience with him, but they seem reasonable.

Don't get olympic. I've seen pictures and none of them are pretty...

www.custom4x4fabrication.com
www.ajsoffroadarmor.com

Yea.. I was lookin at the c4x4, sliderz and AJ's stuff. It's a hard choice between those three but I know AJ's not able to do any work currently (best wishes to him) soo.. that leaves c4x4 or sliderz, my friend has sliderz (from kevins) but he says he'd pick another design though. soo.. its a toss up that the c4x4 is the choice. but Im lookin for more info.

I've got Custome 4x4 Fab 2x4 rock rails and love them. Some time ago someone posted about some really beefy ones coming out with built in frame strengtheners. I would have gone with those, but they weren't ready for release at the time and I don't remember the name off hand. Do a search and you should be able to find them.

I don't have kevins but i like the design the best,( i am going to cut out my rockers and weld in square tube ) i like that kevins has a 1"gap the whole length ... quote from his product discription. "If you look closely, you can see the 1" gap between the two main pieces that allows for a non-slip notch for you to insert a Hi-Lift jack anywhere along the slider". Nice touvh kev, i don't think any other slider offers you that.

Make your own if you can. A couple pieces of 3/16 tube bolted to the pinch seem, some 2X2, and plates to mount them to unibody with and your in there.

Don't forget the spray paint.

Urban Redneck said:
Here are the rails I was talking about.

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjunireinforcer.html

I've checked these out up close, and they are awesome! I would have them on mine if I didn't already replace my rockers with welded in box tube air tanks. :doh:
Detour's is a great place to deal with. :thumbup:

I have the Custom 4x4 double tube rock rails on my '97 XJ.

I am still a stock vehicel with only 30" tire upgrades and I ride with some big-boys.

I need the best protection obviously.

I am totally happy with the Custom 4x4 tubes.

They are VERY strong, offer side protection as well as bottom protection, they tuck up tight, and mount VERY securely.

I don't think you can go wrong with a set of these.

Jeff-97XJ

I finished mine 3 hours before a trail ride. 1/8 inch 2x2. On the ride I scraped them across ledges, used them as a hi lift point and came down on them really hard 2 times. Best of all it was only like $30 in steel and paint.

Where do you guys get the steel for rockrails for 30 bucks. All the places over here want 130 bucks for just the steel!!!! I am getting had ---------Kyle

AAAAAhhhhh....
If only I still made rock rails. I had a little more complicated design yet was really light compared to whats out there. just over 30# a side. when I wheel, I use em... hard... nuff said. the problem I found was that there were so many little differences between jeeps. I have seen only a few sets that i like. I don't like weight, or bulky. but I do like to see the rail attached to the entire length of the pinch seam. I like that detours rails can be used as a winch point. that was a goal of mine. but how much do they weight?

I have had the C4x4 on my Jeep for a few years now. Here is what I have experienced,

1) Powder coating could be better. Even though you will scratch the heck out of the bottoms, and there is no finish that will stand up to that, mine rusted in the seams where the welds are. This is because there was not enough time spent when they coated them to insure an appropriate coating thinkness in the hard to see area's.

2) They are pretty strong and bolt into the pinch seam, but... I have managed to bend mine and bend the pinch seams. I've hit them really really hard so I sort of expect this.

If I had it to do over I think I would buy them again but I think I would see if I could get them cheaper uncoated and paint them myself.

HTH,
B-loose

Back