NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 17:02
Sheeper's Avatar
Sheeper Sheeper is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckley,wa
Posts: 39
LED Tail light conversion question

I'm Putting my THOR COrners on and using some LED Lights, i think theyre too low voltage to actually work, they stay lit up. do i need a different flasher relay? i put my old bulb back on the wires and it blinks


thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 18:27
kennzz05's Avatar
kennzz05 kennzz05 is offline
basic dumbass
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: palm coast fl.
Posts: 754
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

yes you need to get an electronic flasher available at autozone etc
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 18:41
Sheeper's Avatar
Sheeper Sheeper is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckley,wa
Posts: 39
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
yes you need to get an electronic flasher available at autozone etc

assuming that replaces my existing flasher? if so where is it? on the fuse box under the hood?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 19:02
kennzz05's Avatar
kennzz05 kennzz05 is offline
basic dumbass
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: palm coast fl.
Posts: 754
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

on my 98 it was on the drivers side behind the dash kind of where the a/c vent is perhaps it can be gotten to easier than i did it. i was pissed and just kept taking shit off till i found it. I found it by tracking down the clicking sound while it was blinking if you do it replace the hazard flasher at the same time, if you decide to do other led bulbs youll have the same prob
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:25
Sheeper's Avatar
Sheeper Sheeper is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckley,wa
Posts: 39
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

so i put the electronic flasher in, good news is, theyre flashing, bad news is that both the rear lights are flashing....... the front is going left or right , but the back its both , in left and right positions..

HELP!! lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:02
kennzz05's Avatar
kennzz05 kennzz05 is offline
basic dumbass
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: palm coast fl.
Posts: 754
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

what exactly did you change? front and rear bulbs? if so id be leaning towards some kinda funky ground connection somewhere what bout the hazards do they still work
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:34
Sheeper's Avatar
Sheeper Sheeper is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckley,wa
Posts: 39
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
what exactly did you change? front and rear bulbs? if so id be leaning towards some kinda funky ground connection somewhere what bout the hazards do they still work

rear... im gonna try and ground the grounds to the body instead of to the wired ground from the jeep.... the hazards work like they should
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:24
Sheeper's Avatar
Sheeper Sheeper is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckley,wa
Posts: 39
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

Regrounded everything, replaced both the Hazard and flasher modules with the electronic flashers.... still doing the same thing, ....i'm stumped....therye 3 wire tail lights..... Stop/Turn.... wired both wires from the cherokee together, and Tail is on its own wire.... ....and obveously the ground..... both are still flashing on the rear either on left or right....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:46
kennzz05's Avatar
kennzz05 kennzz05 is offline
basic dumbass
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: palm coast fl.
Posts: 754
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

ok if im understanding you wired the wires togeather that sounds like the problem. if you took a 3 wire system and made it 2 wires the power is going to backfeed to the otherside. ive never done the mod youve done but adding a relay comes to mind for the brake lights, however im thinking even with a relay when the brakes are on and you turn on the turn signals both sides are going to flash dont know if adding a diode may cure this.. perhaps calling the manu. and asking them.WIREING GURUS please chime in

from the jeep you have three wires? hot for brakes, hot for blinks and grnd? or just hot and grnd? if the 2 wire is the case maybe you can get one of those plug in harnesses for trailer wireing and use that, i think that splits the single hot and makes it a seperate hot for brakes and another for blinks

Last edited by kennzz05; May 24th, 2009 at 12:54.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 24th, 2009, 17:19
stewie's Avatar
stewie stewie is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: the Union of Socialist States, Amerika
Posts: 4,284
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeper View Post
Regrounded everything, replaced both the Hazard and flasher modules with the electronic flashers.... still doing the same thing, ....i'm stumped....therye 3 wire tail lights..... Stop/Turn.... wired both wires from the cherokee together, and Tail is on its own wire.... ....and obveously the ground..... both are still flashing on the rear either on left or right....
well thats the problem! what did you think would happen? maybe that the power from the turn signal would just magically not go into the brake light circuit? if both the turn and brake light wires are tied together, then the power WILL go into the brake circuit causing both (also the center brake light if so equipped) brake lights to blink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
ok if im understanding you wired the wires togeather that sounds like the problem. if you took a 3 wire system and made it 2 wires the power is going to backfeed to the otherside. ive never done the mod youve done but adding a relay comes to mind for the brake lights, however im thinking even with a relay when the brakes are on and you turn on the turn signals both sides are going to flash dont know if adding a diode may cure this.. perhaps calling the manu. and asking them.WIREING GURUS please chime in

from the jeep you have three wires? hot for brakes, hot for blinks and grnd? or just hot and grnd? if the 2 wire is the case maybe you can get one of those plug in harnesses for trailer wireing and use that, i think that splits the single hot and makes it a seperate hot for brakes and another for blinks
XJs came from the factory with an independent bulb system- ie the turn signal is seperate from the brake light. if your wanting to make your independent bulb system into a common bulb system (where the brake and turn share the same bulb) you will need a converter. search tail light converter on here and see what it pulls up. the converter is used to take the independent bulb systems compatible with the common bulb trailer light systems.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 24th, 2009, 17:25
Muddy Beast Muddy Beast is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WA
Posts: 2,650
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16420

If you have a '97+ you need the turn signal deal I believe, my '89 did not though. Unless you have the newer style thors then yes you need a trailer wiring kit.

~Scott
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 24th, 2009, 18:00
kennzz05's Avatar
kennzz05 kennzz05 is offline
basic dumbass
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: palm coast fl.
Posts: 754
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

thanks for confirming what i figured was the case
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:45
Sheeper's Avatar
Sheeper Sheeper is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckley,wa
Posts: 39
Re: LED Tail light conversion question

Thanks, that mekes more sense, i gotta go get one of those boxes today and try that out.....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tail light question Rockken Colorado Chapter 0 September 18th, 2008 21:29
Yet another dash light/tail light question... 92xjr OEM Tech Discussion 2 December 6th, 2006 09:22
97+ XJ LED Tail Light Conversion - SALE! formatt NAXJA Vendors Info and Feedback Forum 0 March 29th, 2005 09:32
Tail light conversion giranger Modified Tech Discussion 5 October 22nd, 2003 09:59


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014