• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25 lockright install??

Vancity-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have 8.25 29 spline with 4.56 gears
I installed lockright in my dana 30 with 4.56
and had to remove carrier and ring gear to remove pin
which wasnt big deal

im wondering is it the same on 8.25 with 4.56 gears
and if I cant slide pin out,
my question is if I have to remove carrier do I need case
spreader on 8.25 or not
also on bearing caps there are not sure is it adjuster or what
so if I remove it in order to get bearing cap out
is it gona cause any isues or not??

thanks

In the process of doing mine, same gears and all. The pinion bearing nuked itself last week. Looks pretty straight forward, pull the spiders and install the lock-right. Simple and easy to do, shouldn't take you more than an hour to do with simple hand tools buds. Well, those little springs look mighty fussy to me, I found mine in the oil at the bottom of the case... Ordered a bunch from Summit today. Good luck with the install, post up some pics of it, always nice to see it go up.

Phil :canada:

Just follow the instructions to the "T", and no worries.

You should not need to remove the carrier. The 8.25 does not need a case spreader as the preload is adjusted with the side adjusters.
So, if you can avoid it, do not remove the carrier.

If you do need to remove the carrier (this applies to the Pinion bearing Q in the previous post), measure your current backlash.
Mark each bearing cap AND adjuster for position.
Loosen the caps and then lay out a towel or newsprint and lay all the parts as they cam out.

When you reassemble, match your caps to your adjusters.
lightly assemble the caps and adjusters in the carrier, hand tighten the bolts. Set the adjusters so you have about the same backlash as you had before. Be sure that there is preload (zero side to side play!) on the carrier and that your marks on the caps/adjusters line up. Torq to about 1/2 spec and recheck backlash.

There are excellent instructions on how to do this with the Suzuki Lock-Right as you need to remove the carrier for that one. Perhaps you can DL them from the website.

Cross-shaft or cross-shaft retainer pin?

The higher gear ratio gears have a note to shave a tooth or two so that the cross-shaft can slide by. It would be hard as hell to assemble or disassemble an 8.25 without being able to insert or remove the cross-shaft after the carrier was installed. The cross-shaft is what holds the axles apart and makes retaining the c-clips possible.

The cross-shaft is held in by a bolt on a 8.25, not a pin.

Back