• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel line - missing connector?

4LoMoneyPit

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Cherokee SE 4.0 Auto

Recently purchased my first XJ and started leaking fuel from a small crack in the flexible hose leading from the hard fuel line coming into the engine bay, up to the fuel rail.

I replaced the hose but now it keeps popping off periodically, even though I seem to have it clamped down tight. Am I missing a connector to go from the hose to the hard line, similar to the one that's at the top rail?

I've searched high and low and can't seem to find an answer. Appreciate any help!

DnehsLF.jpeg

yFXhT87.jpeg

Zo6IVrV.jpeg

I'm not sure on what's available in OEM lines or repair parts, but the fittings are SAE Quick-connect's. I've swapped all mine out to AN fittings/hose.
P1090079.JPG

P1080771.JPG

The hose is all #6(3/8"), but there 4 total on the jeep. The fuel pump is 3/8" fitting and airc the rest are 5/16".

Sorry, confirming with OP since his is slipping off. I had the same issue with the line being damaged and my 5/16" hose is holding strong.

Yes 5/16th. You're saying your hose goes straight to the hard line as well and is holding strong? What style clamp?

I'm not sure on what's available in OEM lines or repair parts, but the fittings are SAE Quick-connect's. I've swapped all mine out to AN fittings/hose.
P1090079.JPG

P1080771.JPG

That looks slick! Not familiar with AN fittings. Any other details you could share?

Not much else to add, all the rest is factory oem stuff. The AN fittings and hose are available from Russell and Earl's.

Pictures are so large I can't read the text, or I can read the text but not make out anything from the pics.

The one thing I will say is that those are the wrong hose clamps. You need fuel injection clamps.

Yeah, it's hard to follow with the pics so large. This old forum software doesn't autoscale the pics. Also depending on hosting site used, you can reduce the size of the linked image (like in IMGUR).

Here's 4lomoneypit's pics from the first post.

3hFb5TO.jpg

oiu9WXW.jpg

qZYtEXE.jpg

And here's howephillip's:

8GQZE3m.png

9P41qYO.jpg

Thank you.

4lomoneypit's clamps may be okay for the application, but howephilip is definitely using the wrong style of clamp for a fuel injection application. I can't see any markings on the hose, but I wonder if that hose is rated for fuel injection. It looks like standard (carbureted) fuel line.

Fuel injection runs higher fuel pressure and so requires stronger hose and better clamps.

Back