• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mounts?

2WDNICK

NAXJA Forum User
A while ago when I installed a trans mount I had a heck of a time getting it back on, It wouldnt line up no matter what way I tried to reinstall it Seemed like the trans was shifted forward. I recently made sure I installed the correct one for my year, 95, it is the correct one.
So about a month ago I changed out the passenger side motor mount and I had such a hard time aliging the new one that I could not use it, It seems like the engine is shifted forward just like the trans and the new mount would not go into position at all so I had to reinstall the existing one.

Are there right and left engine mounts or are they both the same ? :looney:

Thanks.

Thanks, One more Question.....:looney:

I have a small gap, maybe 3/16th of an inch between the inside of the bracket and motor mount where the long bolt goes through. Is that anything to worry about?
They seem to be the original bolts. If I had the time I would have replaced them with new, grade 8 when I had them out.

I know this doesn't necessarily help you, and I'm not trying to hi-jack, but I had sort of the opposite problem. I installed a new OEM trans mount, and when I went to install new Brown Dog motor mounts, the engine was to far rearward for them to go into the frame holes, by about 1/4".

On my old Wrangler the crossmember had slots instead of holes, which allowed you to shift the entire drivetrain fore or aft, to make things align. I'm wondering if there would be any issues doing the same with the XJ crossmember, because I'm pretty sure the engine is putting unnecessary stress on the mounts, and that's why they crap out so quickly.

I'm wondering if something is affecting yours in the same way it did mine.

The factory motor mounts are a bottom plate, a rubber isolation, and a rounded top that go over the rubber isolater. There should be no gap between the two steel parts of the mount. If parts are changed piecemeal things can get out of alignment, particularly if transfer case drops are involved. When I deleted the previous owners transfer case drop, I had to loosen everything and use pry bars to get it all back together. Transfer case drops put motor mounts at an angle.

The gap I speak of is between the mount on the engine and the rubber mounts where the long bolt goes through. I dont have 4 WD.

Back