• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock bumper brackets question

hemiriffic

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 1998 XJ and it has no front bumper or brackets of any sort for mounting one . I have the stock front bumper also with no hardware.Never had to deal with a stock bumper replacement so here goe the dumb question:
Looking around online to order what I need and see that there are Bumper arm braces , bumper mount / bracket ( the sort of triangle looking one ) and an Inner bumper bracket -which is longer. Which is needed - are all of these needed ?

For just a stock bumper you only need the first item pictured. If you want a stock bumper and stock tow hooks you need the all parts in the second pticture.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Couple things I think. Make sure you buy brackets for '97 and up. I believe the '96 and down mounting points to be a little different. But not sure.

Also I want to say that it is not a bolt but a round head torx that goes in the top of the bumper into the bracket. Not this one but looks like it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32317508914.html

The bumper cap as to go over it. I believe it won't clear over a regular bolt. I do think the bottom one is a regular bolt though.

I put factory front tow hooks my '00 but it was awhile ago and having a little trouble remembering how it was laid out. No big deal but just thought I would bring up these little things I think I know. LOL.

As Ralph noted, the bumpers and mounting points are different based on the model year, 1996 and older vs. 1997 and newer, and the 97-01 top bolt is a torx.

Back