• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, No crank, No nothing...

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Little background info on the subject. 1990 4.0 AW4 has had remote start for about a year now. Tried remote starting it this morning. The lights came on and my remote beeped back that the Heep had received the signal. Waiting to hear a crank and didn't hear one, it tried 3 times. No crank just parking/tail lights. Went out and tried to start it by key, still nothing. The fuel pump is priming and the interior lights come on, threw a charger on it anyway. The charger wouldn't stay on because it says the battery is fully charged. I even tried jumping it, still nothing. Like I said I turn the key the fuel pump primes and sounds healthy. When I remote start it I can hear the electrical clicking of the distributor (I think that's what the clicking is under the hood) it's just when I get it to the start position there is no noise whatsoever. I've got a starter from a 2000XJ on there that usually sounds very healthy. Also have 2/0 ga battery cables that are in great shape and all connected just fine. I tried hitting the starter with a big crescent wrench to see if it was stuck but still absolutely nothing. Anyone have ideas on this? NSS, starter relay, ignition switch? Are those about the only culprits?

Forgot to add...I called the place that installed the remote start, they said on a 90 there is no way the remote start module would interfer with starting even if it were bad... is this true? I wanted to call shinanigans on that because I think it could.

Last edited:
hey man i have the same problem with my 98 xj mine usually only does it when its cold tho i dont know what it i is i think that i got water in my starter and it freezes up and then when i cycle the key for a little bit it and leave it sit for like 10 min 9 of 10 times it will work but i dont know whrere you live or anything but i live in laramie wy so it gets down to like -15 at night so. but i never have any problems with mine when its above 20 degrees .

WYATT WIGGINS

Well I feel retarded, it was the NSS, all I had to do was move it between park and reverse and it started.

Back