• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble

NatO

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have a 3" lift on an 87 XJ with 226,000 miles. I have new OME coils and DeutschTech shocks on front along with new adj. track bar (with ball joint) , new heavy duty steering stabilizer, new quick disconnects and 30" tires. I shimmed out the LC arms to bring the caster back into near normal but I have replaced nothing else on the front. The axle is centered under the vehicle and I kept the stock slip yoke for the front pumpkin. The tires are average quality but nothing to be in awe over. They have recently been balanced and the steering aligned. I still have a significant about of shimmy around 50 mph (the dreaded Death Wobble) that I can not seem to eliminate!

(What the he . . ?) Any suggestions?

Question1: Would replacing the stock (16 yr. old) upper and lower control arm bushings help in any way?

Question2: Any recommendations on which are the best front bushings to buy for an XJ?

1) If it's at 50 MPH the cause is tire balance.

2) Which do you have -- shimmy, or death wobble? They are not the same.

I just lifted my 99 xj 2" and put on 31's. No wobble. Then...I put in a lock-right and all of a sudden at 50-55 mph,,,wobble. Kind of bad. Any suggestions besides tire balance? Oh...plus I forgot to tighten down my lugs when I put the car back down off the jack and drove about a hundred yards before I figured out that I did. (i'm not smart)

kmagnuss_2000 said:
I just lifted my 99 xj 2" and put on 31's. No wobble. Then...I put in a lock-right and all of a sudden at 50-55 mph,,,wobble. Kind of bad. Any suggestions besides tire balance? Oh...plus I forgot to tighten down my lugs when I put the car back down off the jack and drove about a hundred yards before I figured out that I did. (i'm not smart)

Oops.
LOL
:laugh:

kmagnuss_2000 said:

Put it back up on 4 jackstands, and run it in first gear in 4WD. Check each wheel and see if anything got bent by your little misadventure.

Back