• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting problem, need help

xjon

NAXJA Forum User
Issue started at a gas station. Filled up with gas and then no start. All lights comes on and starter doesnt turn. Tried a quick jump and still same issue. Checked voltage with a meter and had 12.5 volts at battery. No current going to starter terminals while someone was turning the key. Starter fuse all good. Pulled the starter off the jeep and had it checked in autoparts store. They said the starter is old but still works fine.

Just wanted to check in with you guys before I started unravelling the wiring harness. How do you check if relay is ok? FYI, I pulled out another relay that looked similar (I think it said ABS?) and plugged it into the starter relay spot but no luck. Am I missing another part of the equation that I need to check?

Thanks in advance.

'99 w/AW4? If auto, you may as well preliminarily rule out the NSS by holding the switch in the start position and moving the shifter back and forth between Park and Neutral.

Your method of checking the relay is correct.

Just because a starter tests good at the store, doesn't mean it is good.

Probably you have a low voltage issue from:

• a failing battery
• a failing alternator
• dirty or loose wire connections
• internally corroded wires

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Wiggle the automatic transmission lever in both Park and Neutral while trying to start. If it starts, you need to clean or replace the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS).

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

thanks for the replies.

WIll try suggested list. As for the tapping the starter trick, i already tried that at the gas station. I tapped so much that I pulled the starter off to make sure I didnt damage it.

I am looking forward to the NSS fix. Hoping that would be it.

This has happened a long time before and it was the plug connector being drowned in oil. i was thinking that was it so I removed the plug there was some wetness so I used an electrical spray cleaner to clean it. Didnt do the job. I will look into it more carefully and make sure all connections are spotless.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Bummer!
The search continues...

Checked the neutral safety switch and no luck. cleaned it anyways per instructions/link above and still same.

I've had problems with the instrument panel for a couple of years now. The gauges will come on and off while driving. Sometimes an occasional tap o the dash board will help it come to life. Could those wiring be related to the ignition wiring in the steering column?

..... The gauges will come on and off while driving. Sometimes an occasional tap o the dash board will help it come to life. Could those wiring be related to the ignition wiring in the steering column?

Sorry, No. The Cherokee will run for ever with that. The plug connectors of the instrument panel need to be cleaned. Search No-Bus.

Back