• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard start and slow idle in the mornings

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!

I'm awaiting my exhaust manifold (should arrive today/tomorrow), and was reading up on the procedure in my haynes and i found i will need to pull my fuel rail and injectors. So this morning i start up my jeep after sitting all wkend and it gave me a bit of a hard start and then rpms dropped to almost zero. i had to give it a bit of gas for 10 seconds or so to even her out. by the time i had driven to my streets stop sign (100 yards), the idle was normal again.

All of this leads to my question: should i pull my injectors and try to get them professionally cleaned since i will already be in there? i don't want to drop 100$ on reman injectors just yet, but with 120K for mileage, it probably isn't a bad idea... maybe just replace the orings and run through some seafoam?

(Also, is it possible to take of the fuel rail and move it out of the way without removing the fuel line quick connects?, save me the hassle of replacing them when i do the manifold!)

Thanks in advance!

(1993 XJ, AW4, inline 6 (HO), stock, 120K on the clock)

I believe the correct way is to pull the injectors and the rail out of the head as an assembly. This keeps the injectors clipped into the fuel rail. Not sure if the quick connect needs be disconnected. I would try it and see. IIRC, people have suceeded this without disconnecting.

thank you Winterbeater. just got my new headers in today, so i will be doing this this wkend and will give it a try without disconnecting the fuel line quick connects.

i appreciate your input!

Back