• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Lift Question

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
I am having trouble deciding what type of lift I want to get for my 2000 XJ. It's my daily driver so I don't want anything more than 3 inches. I have 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's on my Stock Alloys. I would like to either get the Teraflex 2 inch Budget boost or the 3 inch Rough Country with the new Coils, and Add a Leafs. My Budget is very limited But I'd still like a lift. Please Help!
-Bllackash132

dont buy the Rough Country, it is crap. do some searching, you'll see why.

i have the short aal and it sagged real bad after only a few months.

Blackash132 said:
I am having trouble deciding what type of lift I want to get for my 2000 XJ. It's my daily driver so I don't want anything more than 3 inches. I have 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's on my Stock Alloys. I would like to either get the Teraflex 2 inch Budget boost or the 3 inch Rough Country with the new Coils, and Add a Leafs. My Budget is very limited But I'd still like a lift. Please Help!
-Bllackash132

I had the 3" Rough County on my 89' cherokee. It is a good lift and cheap at around $200. I would stay away from the add a leaf due to the stiff ride and they don't last that long. Go with a block & MJ comanchee shackle or dakota springs. Check out cheapxj.com for a lot of useful cherokee info that is built on a budget. A 3" lift with 31" tires looks good and makes a good daily driver. You might though want to help out the power by going with a K & N cone filter & a cat back exhaust. Check out Randysoffroad.com for cheap prices on these 2 items. Your 30" tires should fit with 2" of lift. You could do a budget boost like a 1-3/4" front spacers & 2" blocks and some new shocks for pretty cheap.

XJeffro said:
dont buy the Rough Country, it is crap. do some searching, you'll see why.

i have the short aal and it sagged real bad after only a few months.

I agree, that Rough Country isn't that good, but would do you expect for around $200??? Old Man Emu is a great lift and rides awesome, but is very expensive. You get what you pay for, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be thrifty.

steinjeep said:
I had the 3" Rough County on my 89' cherokee. It is a good lift and cheap at around $200. I would stay away from the add a leaf due to the stiff ride and they don't last that long. Go with a block & MJ comanchee shackle or dakota springs. Check out cheapxj.com for a lot of useful cherokee info that is built on a budget. A 3" lift with 31" tires looks good and makes a good daily driver. You might though want to help out the power by going with a K & N cone filter & a cat back exhaust. Check out Randysoffroad.com for cheap prices on these 2 items. Your 30" tires should fit with 2" of lift. You could do a budget boost like a 1-3/4" front spacers & 2" blocks and some new shocks for pretty cheap.

OK, blocks are bad idea on stock springs. And so are shortie AAL's: I hate to say this, but if you do a search you will be able to find a lot of identical posts.
In any case, long AAL's in the rear are the way to go, front you can do poly spacers and then consider longer shocks and..... keep in mind that you might have to at the very least shim the rear axle and or drop the t-case, although SYE is preferable. Again, look through the previously mentioned search and you will see all those topics covered.

It's all about what you want to do with your Jeep, how much money you want to spend and what your desired look of the Jeep after the lift.

It's a tradeoff decision!

I started with 3" then 4.5" and now 6+".

If you get new coil springs and AAL you can add a coil spring bosters and rear shackles later.

Bottom line decide and do it right the first time. Most lifts parts can be resold but tires and rims are a little more dificult to sell used. Continue to read and research till you can decide.

Check this out www.jeepsulumited.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=55

For a tight budget I would go with a 2" budget boost -- coil spacers in front and a full-length AAL in the back. I would definitely not buy anything from Rough Country. Too many reports of springs breaking.

Rusty's sells a BB with a full-length AAL for $99, unless the price has gone up recently. Many people are happy with it, but some say the AAL sags after awhile. I'd make up my own -- buy the coil spacers from Dirk at DPG Offroad or RJ at Authorized vehicle, and get a Rancho AAL kit from either of them or a local speed shop.

A full-length AAL does not ride harsh or unacceptably stiff. Many people think the ride is better with the AAL than without. If it does sag after a year or two or three, get a set of used XJ springs, cut the eyes off the main leaves, and stick them in the packs to compensate.

Well said Eagle... spacers and full length AAL & throw a set of shocks in if your old set is worn...

There you go....

Eagle said:
For a tight budget I would go with a 2" budget boost -- coil spacers in front and a full-length AAL in the back. I would definitely not buy anything from Rough Country. Too many reports of springs breaking.

Rusty's sells a BB with a full-length AAL for $99, unless the price has gone up recently. Many people are happy with it, but some say the AAL sags after awhile. I'd make up my own -- buy the coil spacers from Dirk at DPG Offroad or RJ at Authorized vehicle, and get a Rancho AAL kit from either of them or a local speed shop.

A full-length AAL does not ride harsh or unacceptably stiff. Many people think the ride is better with the AAL than without. If it does sag after a year or two or three, get a set of used XJ springs, cut the eyes off the main leaves, and stick them in the packs to compensate.

jeepguy97 said:
Why not go with a Rubicon Express 2" BB. it goes for around 200 dollars and it will be much better than the Rough Country. Just my 2 cents.

It has the short AAL.

I have the Rancho full AAL on my stock '98 XJ and I like it. It only lifts the rear ~1.25 - 1.5" but for me it was just right since I decided not to lift. I wanted more ability to carry load without killing the rear crappy leafs. Flex probably suffered some though...

jeepguy97 said:
Yea the kit comes with short AAl but u can order full length for only a little more when u order the kit.

That is a 2.5" lift...not 2" just so you don't order something you don't want.

I just installed the RE 6020, cost is about 300, and I love it. It has the long AAL, new coils. I feel it is a great deal. I have not seen any bad posts on RE lifts, other than they cost a little more, butyou get what you pay for.

I have the Rough Country 3" lift with coils and the full length AAL. I dont think the ride stiffened that much, but I was always into modifying cars for optimum handling so stiff is relative. I got mine from a guy that sell them on ebay, it came with a short AAL but I bumped it up to a full length for an extra $30. I think all said it was about 140 for everything. I figured this would tide me over until I could track down a nice set of dakota leaves to do it a little more "right".

Back