• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocate the cruise buttons

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
This is on my 95 rhd; I have my manual steering sector coming and I'm almost sure it is going to be more turns lock to lock than the clock spring can handle so I'm already planning on moving the cruise buttons. My question is: do I need the resistance of the clock spring in the circuit, therefore necessitating relocating it under the dash somewhere, or can I just eliminate it completely?

While looking for a good, used clocksprings, I measured the continuity between the input and output of several springs and found that good ones had next to no resistance.

With the speed control buttons dash mounted (or wherever you plan on putting them) the clockspring isn't necessary.
It will be interesting to see where you put them.

I can't imagine vountarily removing the power steering, steering 33"s manually is too much work, I gave up on that when I sold my 1959 F100 4X4 a few decades ago.

Thanks, that's what i was wondering. I'm thinking about just under the dash at the top if the gauge cluster, but not sure yet. I'm not going to get back into my reasoning because it doesn't matter to anyone but me. I will say that my 68 f250 highboy with 36s has only made me wish for power steering one time, when I got boxed in at a parking lot at the warehouse I used to work at. Out here in the the middle of nowhere tight parking situations don't come often. Every town in a 20 mile radius has angle-in parking. I haven't had to parallel park in 20 years, which is a shame because I'm damn good at lol.

Item of note concerning the clock spring, the cancel for the turn signals is on the back of it! Took the xj out for a test with the manual box in it and the signals would not cancel. Got back home and looked at the back of the clock spring and sure enough, tabs on the back of it. I don't want to tear my old one up in case I ever want to go back so going to check p&p tomorrow.

Back