• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 231 t-case

xjjeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question! I have a 91 xj and I need to replace my np231 t-case. Can anyone tell me if a np 231 t-case out of a 97 tj will work in my 91 xj

Your number one concern is going to be the spline count. Make sure that the input shaft on the T-case and the output shaft of the tranny are the same count. It would be better if the donor vehicle had the same tranny as your XJ, mainly for driveshaft lentgh matching...

Not sure if in 97 the TJ's had a driver output or a passenger output T-case. I know jeep seemed to enjoy changing stuff up mid-year.

Just my 2 cents...

Moore4X4 said:
Your number one concern is going to be the spline count. Make sure that the input shaft on the T-case and the output shaft of the tranny are the same count. It would be better if the donor vehicle had the same tranny as your XJ, mainly for driveshaft lentgh matching...

Not sure if in 97 the TJ's had a driver output or a passenger output T-case. I know jeep seemed to enjoy changing stuff up mid-year.

Just my 2 cents...
TJs use the same front axle configuration and NP231 t-case - driver's drop. The TJ will have a 23-spline input so you will have to verify the count on the output of your tranny...my understanding is that if you have a 5-speed it should be 23-spline as well but it could be a tossup if you have an auto...

Back