• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about cv style front axle shaft

lilredxj99

NAXJA Forum User
I am bringing home a 94 xj w/ bad engine. Got a totalled 98 w/ a good motor.

Anyway, I found another XJ (early model Grand) w/ cv front axle shafts. Are these any axles better? or Worse?

I guess, I can probably get the whole axle on the cheap, plus a spare pass side shaft, just trying to figure out if itd be worth it or not.

Please don't give me the search lecture, I tried about 3x's and looked through at least 10 pages each time. It will not let you search "cv axle shaft". Just axle shaft .... :(

BTW, THANKS NAXJA

A: That "Early model grand" is not an XJ.. its a ZJ.
B:The cv axle shafts in that ZJ, Yeah.. they are garbage.
C:the CV drive shaft is NOT an upgrade. I have upgraded all of my ZJ CV shafts to XJ U-joint shafts

and i wont give you a search lecture, but i will give you a tip, When searching smaller phrases like "CV" etc etc. Use google. search "CV axle shaft NAXJA" on google.

Hope that helps!

85 grand wagoneer, just wondering... it's got one of those diagnostics centers to the right of the cluster. kind of neat looking old xzj whatever. power everything.

didn't think about google though, thanks

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

Last edited:
Ya that wagoneer isn't a Zj.

Cv shafts like found in lp30's in zj's are garbage.

But aftermarket cv shafts like those from RCV are bad ass and likely the best shaft upgrade available. :thumbup:

For the street or EASY wheeling they cv shafts are fine, but for any harder wheeling I would go with u-joint axleshafts.

And, it's not a 'Grand Wagoneer'. Those were the old FSJs. About the time the XJ appeared, they called the wood version the Wagoneer, and Waggy Limited. The full size model got the 'Grand' moniker hung on it, to differentiate it. Either way, stay away from factory CV joints, ESPECIALLY twenty year old, used items. You'll be back in doing them real soon!

I saw a picture of that system before somewhere. Did it have an extra sensor in both axles, t case, engine, etc?

That would be a sweet mod to find one and ad the sensors so you could monitor fluid levels.

Back