• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stickshift front Driveshaft Lengths?

79yj

NAXJA Forum User
I am in a situation where my fron driveshaft is too long due to the HP D44 I have installed and I am wondering if the stick shift front driveshaft is shorter than the automatic shaft. If so I can save a bundle on a driveshaft.
The stock automatic shaft is 32" completely compressed center to center of each u-joint.
I can get it in there but it is almost at bottum when I do. I would think the shorter tranny XJ's like the 3 speed auto or the stick shift would have a shorter front shaft.
Anybody have one they can measure for me?
Thanks, Eric

Well, I think the later 5 speeds (AX15) would have the same length front DS as the AW4, but earlier rigs (I think 87-89?) with the Peugot 5 speed should have a shorter front DS by a few inches due to the mounting location of the transmission crossmember. That is where I would start looking if I were you.

NotMatt said:
Well, I think the later 5 speeds (AX15) would have the same length front DS as the AW4, but earlier rigs (I think 87-89?) with the Peugot 5 speed should have a shorter front DS by a few inches due to the mounting location of the transmission crossmember. That is where I would start looking if I were you.
Yeah but isn't the dshaft that came with the peugot the crappy one with the funky slip covered by the rubber "boot" ?

I have searched for a nice graph showing lengths of various engine, tansmission & transfer case configurations in various Jeep vehicles with very little to show for it. I can tell you this, people are saying that there are no clear differences in front driveshafts. bull.
I did find a salvage yard index showing many many different lengths of shaft measured from weld to weld on the main shaft since the short shaft is the same mostly.
I have settled into ordering a 17.5" weld to weld shaft which should get me about 29.5" of u joint to u joint length up front.
My shaft is slammed down to 32" and wont fit without lowering the axle down.
Hopefully, this will be my cure.
Thanks, Eric

I have a 88 with an auto and a 90 with the AX 15. The AX15 is about an inch or two shorter than the AW4. Which means the front drive shaft on the AX15 will be shorter than one on an Auto. And the rear will be longer than the Auto. I know. I tried to swap the rear drive shaft from the XJ with the AX15 in to the XJ with the Auto and it was slamming all the way into the slip yoke.

Kejtar said:
Yeah but isn't the dshaft that came with the peugot the crappy one with the funky slip covered by the rubber "boot" ?

Mine certainly doesn't have a boot. It looks the same as later model shafts I've seen with the slip in the middle with a greasable zerk. I think you may be thinking of earlier models (86 and earlier maybe?). I don't know, I'm not an expert, just telling what I know about my rig.

JohnJohn said:
Speculating: The older 5spd tranny mounts were 4" closer to the front than the older autos. With that said the driveshaft may be 4" shorter than the older auto versions.

Yep, that was the gist of my post.... I'm assuming the AW4 is mounted in the same location on all years? The Peugot tranny is mounted about 4" forward of the mounts for the AW4, so I'm guessing that you should look for one of these rigs first for a shorter front DS. Mine's an 87, not sure how late they were using the french 5spd before switching to the AX15 (probably sometime around 90?)

NotMatt said:
Mine's an 87, not sure how late they were using the french 5spd before switching to the AX15 (probably sometime around 90?)
the changeover from Puegeot BA-10/5 to the Aisin-Warner AX-15 was in mid-89; I seem to recall reading that it was either April 1 or April 15 but that's just a little too much info.

I think the funky-azz rubber boot Kejtar is referring to was the "popsicle-on-a-stick" with the 84-87 NP207?

Back