• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 link rear vs leafs

Power73

NAXJA Forum User
Are coils or leafs better for the high speed type stuff? from what ive seen on here almost everyone is running deaver leafs. any reason people dont run 4 link rear with coils? For a little more than the deavers you could buy a rear coil conversion. i just want to build it right the first time. i dont plan to compete, im just trying to build a rig that can do it all. high speed type stuff in the dunes and crawling/trailriding. any thoughts? thanks in advance

I think one of the reasons people stick with the leafs is that JeepSpeed requires the suspension to stay relatively stock-styled?

i like having coilovers and links all around for the go-fast and crawling. not sure how i'd like coil springs though... there's almost no room for coils so you'd have limited travel before they fell out.

This is something I've been looking at recently too. Rock Krawler and Clayton are the 4 link conversion guys I've been looking at and I think they both have a rig set to compete in King of the Hammers.

yeah i thought it was to do with rules. i was just wondering if coils would be any better? or just go straight to coilovers?

yeah i thought it was to do with rules. i was just wondering if coils would be any better? or just go straight to coilovers?

You would most likely want to go through the floor for longer/better shocks. So why not coilovers?

good point. so just a set of good coils and shocks wont be much better than leafs?

I think that the clayton rear coil conversion kit is nice, ( I know there are others) http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_68/products_id/345
But recommended lift for that kit is 6.5+ Not sure about you, but I do not want to go that high. With coilovers you can go as high or low as you are willing. Either way there is fab work required. And especially if you can fab/build stuff yourself, could be cheaper.
And as Dan said, you don't have to worry about your coils falling out.

Jeepspeed 3700 Outlaw Class 15" is the only limitation in the front,rear is wide open,finished the front of mine ,starting on the 4 link rear. running a 2007 4.3 vortec v6 with 4 speed auto,Adam
wont let me post pics sorry

Jeepspeed 3700 Outlaw Class 15" is the only limitation in the front,rear is wide open,finished the front of mine ,starting on the 4 link rear. running a 2007 4.3 vortec v6 with 4 speed auto,Adam
wont let me post pics sorry

If you have a photobucket/other account you can link/show your pics that way, using html.
Otherwise, tinypic.com works good.

Back