• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Writeup on Liberty KJ discs on 8.25" Cherokee XJ Conversion

Good write up this is the way i want to go.

So one could get pre-loaded calipers for a 2006 liberty from rock auto:

rearright.jpg

A-1 CARDONE Part # 164755B {[Caliper w/Installation Hardware & Pad] Reman.}
Rear Left; Original Equipment Phenolic Piston;Ceramic Pads for $89.79 each

and

A-1 CARDONE Part # 164754B {[Caliper w/Installation Hardware & Pad] Reman.}
Rear Right; Original Equipment Phenolic Piston;Ceramic Pads for $89.79 each

and

rotors:

rotorrear.jpg

RAYBESTOS Part # 780134R {Professional Grade; Outside Diameter 11.22" / 5 Bolt Holes /Solid} Rear $30.79 each

and then find the backing plates at a junk yard or wherever and use either liberty soft lines, ZJ soft line and the e-brake and you would be good.

So you could do it with mostly new parts for around $275 or so? Is this right?

TIA

The liberty came out in 2002. The 2002 came with drum brakes on the rear. Every year after that, they came with rear discs. The parts stores list a pre/after 06 caliper but there isn't enough difference to tell. I looked at them both at the parts store. But yea, thats all you would need after backing plates.

I got 2006 Liberty rear axle here in Charleston, WV with only 6k miles on it for sale for $300.00. The brake parts are perfect.

Re:Liberty rear axle

The liberty came out in 2002. The 2002 came with drum brakes on the rear. Every year after that, they came with rear discs. The parts stores list a pre/after 06 caliper but there isn't enough difference to tell. I looked at them both at the parts store. But yea, thats all you would need after backing plates.

I got 2006 Liberty rear axle here in Charleston, WV with only 6k miles on it for sale for $300.00. The brake parts are perfect.

What rear axle is in the Liberty?

So how in the hell are places selling these kits for $550 or more when you can get everything to do the conversion using new parts for $300 give or take? That is almost double, which is rediculous.....guess it's the convenience of it. Everyone seems to want all the work done for them and have it in a neat little package instead of researching and learning. There are instances where is is just better to pay the extra buck and buy a kit or whatever. In this case, however, it seems to be a waste of money. I speak for myself as I know there are people on here that have plenty of money and would rather buy everything ready to go......I don't have that luxury.

Last edited:
I'd wait for the same answer too since I have a 2004 KJ axle sitting on my garage he he.

I know 03-06 will work, they have the same bolt pattern as a XJ. Not sure about the 07+. JIM.

What's up with using the e-brake cables from the Liberty? XJ ones aren't long enough - but then the KJ are too long? Any other cables work?

Awesome write up....I have my brake stuff all ready to go, except the e-brake cables....

Nice writeup...I am in process of doing a similar swap. 97CV on XJD44.

I have noticed that the disks are thicker than the drums... Does the thickness of the rotor move the wheel/tire off the very center hub of the axle? I found that I can stick a feeler gauge in to about .006.

Has anybody else noticed this ?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just thought I'd share what I found out today for all those interested in doing this swap. I just ordered from my local dealer today (will arrive tomorrow) both backing plates from an 06 liberty, which come with all parking brake hardware and shoes already attached. They cost me $86/side (through my work) and I will use reman loaded calipers and new rotors. The only thing I have to source is the parking brake cable and brake hoses. I don't think the backing plates will come with new cables as it doesn't show them in the picture, but I am sure hoses and cables will be pretty cheap. The way I figure it, is when I'm done I will have ALL NEW (except for reman calipers) parts for my conversion for about half as much as the Teraflex kit.

The best part of the whole deal for me is, when I go to order brake pads for the rear, I can tell the parts guy, hey send me some pads for an 06 liberty, instead of having to try and figure out or match up the teraflex ones.

I just ordered from my local dealer today (will arrive tomorrow) both backing plates from an 06 liberty, which come with all parking brake hardware and shoes already attached. They cost me $86/side (through my work).

Good deal. My dealer wants $131 per side, but I've found them for $102 per side and plan to order them soon. I've already picked up two KJ caliper cores from a junkyard for $10 each. I haven't decided whether to use ZJ or KJ brake hoses -- it'll depend on which has the better attachment point. I'll have to compare them side-by-side at the parts store in order to make a decision.

It sure beats using junkyard ZJ stuff or paying a huge price for Teraflex. :roll:

Good deal. My dealer wants $131 per side, but I've found them for $102 per side and plan to order them soon. I've already picked up two KJ caliper cores from a junkyard for $10 each. I haven't decided whether to use ZJ or KJ brake hoses -- it'll depend on which has the better attachment point. I'll have to compare them side-by-side at the parts store in order to make a decision.

It sure beats using junkyard ZJ stuff or paying a huge price for Teraflex. :roll:

Let us know what hoses you end up using and why. I'm having a hard time sourcing KJ hoses (again, I'm trying to keep everything NEW with exception of reman calipers).

On a side note, does anybody know for sure if the KJ backing plate studs are the same thread pitch as the XJ backing plate studs? I ordered the KJ studs and the dealer says they cannot locate the nuts. SO I was planning on using the nuts from the old nuts from my XJ, otherwise I'll just get some from Lowe's or something.

I can see beating the huge price on the new stuff, but how does it beat the ZJ stuff? A little work cleaning them up and paint and they are as good if not better than new. 2 minutes tops per side with a die grinder opens up the hole enough to fit perfect. I have less into the setup than it would be to replace just one side of the drums.
Let us know what hoses you end up using and why. I'm having a hard time sourcing KJ hoses (again, I'm trying to keep everything NEW with exception of reman calipers).
I'm using ZJ calipers and hoses to the stock 8.25 lines. I tacked the tab down to hold the axle side in place from moving.
On a side note, does anybody know for sure if the KJ backing plate studs are the same thread pitch as the XJ backing plate studs? I ordered the KJ studs and the dealer says they cannot locate the nuts. SO I was planning on using the nuts from the old nuts from my XJ, otherwise I'll just get some from Lowe's or something.
I ended up buying new studs and nuts. IIRC it was under $6.

Last edited:
I can see beating the huge price on the new stuff, but how does it beat the ZJ stuff? A little work cleaning them up and paint and they are as good if not better than new. 2 minutes tops per side with a die grinder opens up the hole enough to fit perfect. I have less into the setup than it would be to replace just one side of the drums.
I'm using ZJ calipers and hoses to the stock 8.25 lines. I tacked the tab down to hold the axle side in place from moving.
I ended up buying new studs and nuts. IIRC it was under $6.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ZJ calipers will not work on KJ backing plates, so that doesn't really help me. As for the studs and nuts, re-read what I said, I already ordered studs, but my dealer could not locate the nuts!

I can see beating the huge price on the new stuff, but how does it beat the ZJ stuff?

ZJ disc brakes are as rare as hens' teeth at auto salvage yards in my area -- I've called 'em as far as 120 miles away. And if you could find a set around here, the backing plates would be rusted to nothing, and you can't buy new ones anymore. The other thing I've found is that no one wants to part out a good axle to sell the brakes off it. KJ parts at the salvage yards here are non-existent, but at least I can buy them new.

keep0njeepin0n, you may have to pick up KJ brake hoses at Autozone. I know they list them on their website.

ZJ disc brakes are as rare as hens' teeth at auto salvage yards in my area -- I've called 'em as far as 120 miles away. And if you could find a set around here, the backing plates would be rusted to nothing, and you can't buy new ones anymore. The other thing I've found is that no one wants to part out a good axle to sell the brakes off it. KJ parts at the salvage yards here are non-existent, but at least I can buy them new.

keep0njeepin0n, you may have to pick up KJ brake hoses at Autozone. I know they list them on their website.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow when I go to work...we also have an account with Autozone, so I'll get the "special" pricing!

Has anybody found a good alternative to KJ parking brake cables, without modifying anything? Or should I just stick with the KJ cables and call it a day?

On a side not, I thought you guys might get a kick out of this!!

When trying to source brake hoses I called NAPA, and asked for a price on calipers and hoses. He came back with a price for calipers, and I then had to remind him about hoses. He looked and said, no there's no hoses listed because it has rear drum brakes. I asked if he looked up an 06 because 03-up had rear disc. He said yes, but it was showing to be rear drum. I said, "well how can it have rear drum brakes but you had a listing for rear calipers?" His response after a moment of silence...."I don't know!" lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back