• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switch & Relay Box Writeup (56k - better go get your boyz for help)

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
You may or may not remember my older post where I posted up pictures of my installed switch panel that I purchased from Deke and Timmay a while ago. Well I never posted pictures of the relay setup because it was a rushed hack job. And frankly I was embarrased to show them ;) And I told myself that I would redo everything and post pictures up. Well that was before I severly seperated my shoulder a few weeks ago. And I've just now gotten to the point where I have decent movement in it. So this weekend I set out to finish what I started.

Here are a few pics of the switch install. It's pretty straight forward and simple.

I picked up a small distribution block from RadioShack to help organize my wiring. Because I have 7 switches, this 8 terminal distro block would work out nicely to hold both the positive and the ground wires. The blue and the red wires coming from the bottom right are the power and the ground wires. I then made some jumpers to connect the terminals.
PICT6543.jpg

Here's a picture with the switch panel all wired up and dangling from the wiring. You can see that I had to cut a rectangle out of the headliner to allow for enough clerance for the back of the switches/wiring. I probably could have used some 90-degree fittings to allow more room, but I didn't want to redo everything. If you look close enough, you can see where I singed the headliner when applying the heatshrink. Oops. The extra wires (the small guage ones) that weren't in the previous pic is actually Cat-5 (ethernet) wire. It contains a bundle of 8 small wires. Perfect for running 7 swithes. And because I only used it for the signal wire for the relay (low current flow) it worked out great. I ran it down the roof trim on the passenger side to the back.
IMG_0581.jpg

All buttoned up in the "Off" position
PICT6544.jpg

Switched "On"
PICT6545.jpg

Now on to the relay boxes. I chose to mount my relay box in the back cargo area for two reasons. 1) I couldn't find a place in the engine bay that would hold the box (I wanted the relays in a box to help shield them from the elements) and 2) I already had a nice 4-guage wire run to the cargo area to power my amp (that got stolen months ago grrrrrrrrrrr).

Here is the hobby box I picked up from RadioShack. The two strips you see on the bottom are the fuzzy side of velcro. I wanted all of the contents of the box to stay firmly in place but I didn't want anything too perminant. So I tried out the velcro.
IMG_0142.jpg

Here is the power distrobution block/fuse box I used to power the relays. I picked it up from Advanced Auto for a few bucks.
IMG_0144.jpg

This is how I layed out the box. Everything is velcroed down. Unfortunalty, because the relays aren't very big and will get pulled from the tight wiring, using just velcro woudn't do. I'll show you how I fixed this later. You'll also notice that the fuse box only holds 6 terminals and I have 7 switches to run. So I picked up one of those inline fuse holders and attached it to the stud that attatches to the incoming power wire.
IMG_0147.jpg

I then ran the power leads from the fuse block to the relays. I also went ahead and ran my daisy-chained ground wire to each. You can also see the above mentioned 7th fuse holder attached.
IMG_0201.jpg

This is how I resolved my lose relay situation. I had a small piece of narrow aluminuminuminuminum flat stock laying around. Bent up the ends and later drilled holes to bolt it to the box. Now those relays aren't going anywhere.
IMG_0204.jpg

And much to my luck, the stock fit nicely in between the reinforcing ribs in the hobby box!
IMG_0205.jpg

Brace yourself, but here is a picture of everything hackly installed. I did all of the stuff up to this point a few weeks back and was very rushed. So I apologize...
PICT6621.jpg

I needed it in and running for an offroad trip. I didn't even have time to bolt it to anything, install my relay retaining aluminum strap, or anything else. I also jerry-rigged the connection from the 4-guage wire to the fuse block. VERY HACKISHLY I might add. :D

In a wierd coincidence, when I went to Wal-Mart to fill my persription for pain meds after I seperated my shoulder, I found these nice terminal connections that would solve my issue of how to connect that 4-guage wire to the fuse block terminal. [cartman]Kiiiiiiiiiiick ass![/cartman]
PICT6620.jpg

Butta! (this pic was just for demonstration of fitmant - I crimped and heatshrunk before installation)
PICT6625.jpg

Time to install the aluminum relay retainer...
PICT6628.jpg

Dang, I need some washers for that, but I ran out. Gotta pick some up after work today.
PICT6626.jpg

Time to think about how to mount this up...
PICT6637.jpg

If you're wondering why I put a nut and washer on before the box, it's because I wanted to be able to remove the box without having to remove the interior panel.

After I did that, I took everything out of the hobby box and neatened and tidied everything up. I also drilled holes in the side of the box and installed grommets to run the wires through.

And here's the finished result:

PICT6639.jpg

PICT6640.jpg

This is how I ran my wires to/from the box. In my '98, the panel has 6 rectangles cut in it (almost looks like for ventalation). Lucked out again. One less hole to cut.
PICT6643.jpg

Repacked everything back up and good to go!
PICT6652.jpg

The only thing I have left to do is to install 3 more power wires to run to the other accessories. If you look close enough, there are only 4 wires in that bundle. I ran out of the needed guage wire. Something else on my list to get tonight. But that'll just be a quick fix.

So whatddya think?

Very inpressive. Good work!

r@m

FitchVA said:
This is how I ran my wires to/from the box. In my '98, the panel has 6 rectangles cut in it (almost looks like for ventalation). Lucked out again. One less hole to cut.
PICT6643.jpg

So whatddya think?
I think that by having your relay box back by the hatch, routing wires to your switches via the rear pillar would make life easier than the "A" pillar.

That's a clean job! I'd have done a couple things differently, tho...

You can get preterminated sockets for the Bosch relay easily enough, and the tails are usually about a foot long. This would have saved some wrangling with the spade connectors. As I recall, the wiring attached is about a 12 gage - which works nicely coming from the distro bar.

Also, I'd have made the "tails" on the relays as you did them a little longer. Why? Ever pull an outlet out of the box, and wonder why each wire is six to eight inches longer than it needs to be? There's you answer - the outlet came out. I'd prefer to change the spades (if I didn't use the terminal or a gang block) outside the box rather than inside. A little creative packing and use of velcro wire-ties will handle the job nicely. If you make it easy to change a part, it will last forever. If changing the part is difficult, the damn thing will fail - Murphy's Law. (5-90's Corollary - "Always assume the next poor schmuck to work on it will be you - and all you'll have is a Multi-Plier and a broken screwdriver.")

Oh - and if ANYONE sees an ATC fuze block like the one he's got here, but with screw terminals rather than .250" spades for the connections, please PLEASE let me know! I've been trying to find a few for a while - most of my mods work around those .250" blocks, and I'd much rather screw them down than slip them on. I like security in my wiring...

All in all, the only thing I can see that I'd do different back there would be to gang a pair of Hella 4-relay blocks there (with covers) and pass the wiring behind them right into the panel - making it invisible. There are fuze blocks that will gang with the relay blocks, which would allow you to hide ALL the wiring and make for a really clean installation, tool-less access, and "plug and pray" parts changes.

Still - a most commendable installation. Take the previous as constructive criticism please - that's how I meant it.

5-90

Very nice work. I'd try covering some of it up with some wire loom when you are completely done, but for the most part it's very impressive.

5-90 said:
Oh - and if ANYONE sees an ATC fuze block like the one he's got here, but with screw terminals rather than .250" spades for the connections, please PLEASE let me know! I've been trying to find a few for a while - most of my mods work around those .250" blocks, and I'd much rather screw them down than slip them on. I like security in my wiring...
5-90

Ususally Wrangler Northest Power Products have those fuse blocks.

5-90 said:
That's a clean job! I'd have done a couple things differently, tho...

Still - a most commendable installation. Take the previous as constructive criticism please - that's how I meant it.

5-90

thanks bud. and i appreciate the reccomendations. yes, those are really good ideas. and after doing searches before i started this, i thought about those options. especially the relay blocks. but as i started to add up the costs it was gonna really nickel and dime me. and i really didn't want to spend too much on it. but thanks for the advice. :D

Steve

xjj33p3r said:
Very nice work. I'd try covering some of it up with some wire loom when you are completely done, but for the most part it's very impressive.
yup. already have it in my aptartment waiting for me to finish running the other 3 acc. wires. once i do that, it's all getting loomed up. :D

Steve

hman333 said:
hey yall know where i can get a switch panel like that or similar, i look at radio shack but could not find anything
if you search for posts by the member "deke" you'll find a thread where he was selling these a while back. but i do believe i got the next-to-last one and i heard that someone else snatched up the last one as well. but if you look at his thread, you'll see pictures of how they started. it's a very simple design. you could probably make one like or similar to this one.

FitchVA said:
...but as i started to add up the costs it was gonna really nickel and dime me. and i really didn't want to spend too much on it.

Steve

Yeah right. LOL! That never happens. Are you proposing that mods can run over budget??

:gee:

TIM

5-90 said:
5-90
hey i was searching around at lunch and came across this...

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=10960&page=1

it's not the same style as the one i used, but it does have screw-down connectors.

I got 2 10-packs of the relays with the harnesses off ebay. HERE

I'm about to start re-wiring my power windows using switches from This Place

Using those switches will require 2 relays per switch to function right... unless my schematics I drew up during adv. calc class are screwed up.

Good job Fitch. What would you think about taking the black cubby holder thing out of the console and putting all the relays in there? Ive already got 4 distribution blocks in there and there seems to be a ton of room.

FitchVA said:
hey i was searching around at lunch and came across this...

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=10960&page=1

it's not the same style as the one i used, but it does have screw-down connectors.

SHAZAM! That's exactly what I've been trying to find!

I only like using QD connectors (spades/bullets) on things that I expect to take down for maintenance. I'm really cranky about any permanent installations (ask anyone who hears me talk about my electrical work, or look at any jobs I have time to work on - where I don't have to hurry to get it going before I have to go somewhere...)

I always do feel better about screwpost connexions - they just do a better job of staying put when bumped or shaken...

Oh - I ordered their catalogue. Thanks for the link!

5-90

If you don't mind me asking, what're you doing to your power window switches?

BTW, great write up. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

dothedew24_7 said:
Good job Fitch. What would you think about taking the black cubby holder thing out of the console and putting all the relays in there? Ive already got 4 distribution blocks in there and there seems to be a ton of room.

dang, never thought of using that space. it'd probably work out just fine there.

Back