• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stant SuperStat fitment issue

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
So I've been using Stant t-stats forever and never had an issue. I just replaced the t-stat housing, or tried to, and the housing didn't flush to the head. The original housing fits the t-stat just fine, any direction. The new Omix and 4 Seasons, only allow installation in certain clockings of the stat, but again, not a flush fit. You can see where the t-stat is contacting the inside of the housing.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is Stant unit actually slightly larger then OEM? T-stat in question is a #45359.

I have a bunch of thin Al plate and are ready to make a spacer.

--Matt

Sounds like the wrong housing, I would get one of Hesco's free-flow housings.

Sounds like the wrong housing, I would get one of Hesco's free-flow housings.

Bennie at HESCO actually was the person that informed me of the Stant possibly having fitment issues. He said they use t-stat housing castings similar to the 4 Seasons ones and that I would most likely have to same issue with their unit.

--Matt

I did a water pump last year.
Decided to replace the housing on my '00 too.
Even bought a new Stant thermostat. Thinking same one as you.
I used the Dorman 902-306.
Did not used the supplied gasket but went with a FelPro.
Here is the thing. I never did use the Stant.
Having read so many of those thermostat being bad out of the box threads decided to reuse the old one.
Which was the cheap Napa one that I purchased about 6 years earlier.
But hey it still worked.
I figure at some point in time will pay for that decision and put in the Stant.
Now you have me wondering about the Stant.
Never throwing anything out I still have the old housing.
Guessing it is factory. See if I can find it and dig out the Stant I have in "stock".
If I can find them will see if I can see the problem you are talking about and post again.

Now you have me wondering about the Stant.
Never throwing anything out I still have the old housing.
Guessing it is factory. See if I can find it and dig out the Stant I have in "stock".
If I can find them will see if I can see the problem you are talking about and post again.

Ralph,

If you can find that Stant t-stat, take a few measurements. Also, what is the exact model number, they make 2 different kinds.

Here's the measurements from mine:

From outside face to tip - 52/64"
From head side to tip - 55/64"

Bennie from HESCO indicated he thinks that OE t-stats are closer to 3/4" outside face to tip.

--Matt

So I am little confused by where you want me to take measurements.
Here is what I think I have.
But taking some on the Stant, 45359 by the way, I think you are talking about the depth.
From the inside of the circular disc to the farthest point where it goes in the head.
Looks like 55/64".
From the outside of the disc to the farthest point it goes into thermostat housing.
Looks like 52/64".
So that appears to be the same.

So it just so happens I have the thermostat that I took out of the Jeep.
Has a Mopar logo on it. Part number looks like 52028186.
The part that goes into the head is longer.
Looks like 60/64".
The part that goes into the thermostat housing is much shorter.
Looks like 44/64"

So the original Mopar thermostat has that hole and if I am not mistaken it goes at 12 o'clock in the head.

The size of the disc appears to be the same. Used my HF Caliper for that.
2 things.
First it is an HF Caliper. Second I am not the best at using it so..... LOL.

Also even though I can't find a Mopar symbol on it I did find the part number, 53006192, on the housing.
So I am going with original.

So you mentioned that it fit when clocked a certain way.
I approximated how the housing would be on the Jeep.
When I have the Stant in housing, guessing where it would sit when in the channel on the head,
when that "U" piece that runs over the top in the thermostat housing is at 2 and 8 o'clock it appears to not sit flush in the housing.
When the "U" is at 12 and 6 o'clock it does.
And appears to sit flush at most clock settings except the 2 and 8.
And since this does not have that hole I am guessing it really doesn't matter how it is clocked.
Of course when it the channel on the head, cause I am just guessing where it would fall in the housing, it could be totally different.

I hope this helps.
I am going to leave everything out in case you have more questions.
I would post pictures but refuse to get one of those 3rd party image things.

Oh and by the way the cheap Napa thermostat was part number 269.
So either I had it clocked the right way or it does not matter at all.

I replaced the thermostat and housing on my XJ about 6 months ago and had the same fitment issues. I took a Dremel to the housing. If you hold the two housings together you would see the difference. It did not need much. It was also a Super Stant and housing bought from Amazon.

Back