• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor removal

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
What is the best technique to remove O2 sensors that are rusted into the exhaust? I've tried penetrating oil, a large wrench, and a pipe wrench. I was thinking I might cut the wires and slip a socket over it, but if that didn't budge the sensor, I didn't want the wires cut and the sensor to be completely useless.

Have had pretty good luck with the CRC Freeze Out stuff.
Thinking if this were me would heat up the pipe around the O2 sensor.
Or maybe try when the engine is hot.

There are sockets designed for O2 sensor removal. They have a slot down the side to deal with the wire and an offset drive, like a crow's foot. It is a good tool to have in the toolbox.

On the subject of penetrating oil, those vary in efficacy. I like Kroil. A mixture of 50/50 acetone/ATF is supposed to be one of the best.

Another option is to heat the area and then melt the end of a candle on the junction of the threads. The wax can wick its way in and lubricate the threads.

Worst comes to worst, cut the entire end off the sensor and put a good six point socket on it and go to town with an impact. If you strip the threads out you can either heli-coil it (same as a spark plug) or even cut off the bung and weld in a new one.

Are you changing the exhaust and want to keep the sensor?

I would check around for a local source for the O2 sensor, just in case.

What the others said. I have an offset O2 socket. Haven't had a failure yet.

Use a generous amount of anti-seize on the threads to help in the future.

I used to hate replacing oxygen sensors until I bought the right tools for the job. I have offset and inline sockets to choose from now depending on access, they have always worked well.

I do keep spare bungs with blanking plugs and I have started welding in a spare oxygen sensor bung a few inches from the original. This is only for those sensors that get exposed to mud. It's easier to fit a new sensor in a spare port than clean or remove a sensor when your Jeep is hanging in mud underneath.

I had to go through this couple months ago, just needed the sensor replaced. This was on 2000 XJ.

The only thing that worked for me is using the O2 censor socket that you can most likely pickup at your local parts store. Second essential tool is blowtorch. Heat up the area around the censor, not the actual sensor. I had to do this multiple times (x3)in combination with deep creep or PB blaster.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The off-set O2 sensor was $8 at the local AutoZone and it worked perfectly on both of the sensors that I needed to remove. Thanks for the help.

The off-set O2 sensor was $8 at the local AutoZone and it worked perfectly on both of the sensors that I needed to remove. Thanks for the help.

I love a happy ending!! <sniff>

Back