• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to diable air bags?

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
What would be the best way to disable the air bags. Not for service but just so they can't go off. Would pulling the fuses work or is there another way that won't cause the light to go on.

I really dont think it is an issue. is it your dd? if it is, leave them on. i work at a bodyshop and have seen plenty of nasty wrecks people walked away from because the the air bags. if your worried about it going off on the trail, i can pretty much attest to the fact that it wont as i have banged the hell out of my 99 offroad and never happened. i read something where at camp jeep they encouraged jeepers to try and set the bags off on a jeep offroad and they just could not do it, short of slamming into a cliff face. but if its not your dd, or not on the road for that matter then ignore what i said and hopefully someone can help

yeah, I've always wondered about mine too, I wanted to remove it because mine isn't driven on the road hardly at all but I have slammed the shit out of my jeep, rolled it, drove straight into things and its never gone off. kind of wierd I figured it would be easier to set off....
-cal

jeepguy97 said:
What would be the best way to disable the air bags. Not for service but just so they can't go off. Would pulling the fuses work or is there another way that won't cause the light to go on.
Why do you want to disable them? As others mentioned the airbags should not go off offroad (IIRC you have to travel at 30mph+ or something like that before the system arms itself). Anyways I have rolled my jeep @ about 30mph and they didn't go off cause there was no frontal impact (I did a full 360 and landed back on wheels).

you could go to the dealer and make up some lame ass excuse and see if they will do it right, say its for a medical reason of sorts. not the best idea, but its one

If you're worried that they'll go off when they shouldn't, because of bumping into something while 4-wheeling, don't. They only go off in fairly severe impacts. The kind of impact where, even if you're off-road, you're going to WANT the airbag to save your butt!

Looks like if you pull fuses 26 and 27 the power to the airbag module will be removed. However, that module appears to be on a network and the PCM could still set the airbag light.

There are TSB's with part numbers for air bag deactivation switches. Supposedly you need an authorization letter from NHTSA to get the part.
I'd just leave the system alone and let it work as designed.

I thought I read somewhere that they are disabled in 4 lo.

I had wondered this a few years ago. The dealer can add a switch to disable them ubt you need to have a resaon - and like $300. I wasn't that worried about it. LOL

I know it has been said but if you concern is them going off on the trail - I would not worry about it. I have slammed my 1999 XJ in to trees with enough speed to dent Tomken bumpers without them going off.

-Brian

pull the fuses and possibly relay, then pull the bag for good measure. I am not sure on a Jeep, but I know the early 90's GM's, everything that was airbag related was Bright Yellow. All the wiring and such. Under the dash there was a plug to disconnect the bag, after you pulled the fuse. once again, this was GM, havent seen a Jeep, and mine is too old for that safety stuff....

Gosh I hate airbags, they are such a wimpy device that I don't ever want. What happened to seatbelts and safe driving? Yea spend $1200 after a wreck before you even look at the body.

If that's the case, why not wait till you're in a wreck and then pull out the airbags if its all about cost? You've already paid for them, wait not wait and use them when they could save you're life? Oh wait, tha'd make sence. :looser:

You can't remove the airbag in my 96. It is molded to the steering wheel cover. I ain't gonna drive around looking at the steering wheel nut.

measure the impedance of the airbag, buy comparable resistor, unhook plug from back of airbag and put resistor in plug.

no way for airbag to go off, module still thinks airbag is hooked up.

Back