• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for NoCo jeep friend with a bender?

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
As the title suggests, I need a bud with a bender!

Lol, but seriously I am in need of just 8 90*s bent for a roof rack. Id like to avoid the hassle of welding emt and the fun that galvanized gas produces. Not to mention still needing to bend 90s and the thin wall less forgiving with the good ol foot/ hand bender. Unfortunately getting my own bender isn't in the cards right now... I was given the green light over the winter from the wife but then (murpheys law) the furnace decided to bite the dust $$$.

Willing to compensate for your time and use of tool. I got a 15 year old I can rent out for bigger jobs like tube fenders and a roll cage too! ��

As of now just wanting to get a roof rack under way. Lmk here or pm, thanks guys

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I need a bud with a bender!

Lol, but seriously I am in need of just 4 90*s bent for a roof rack. Id like to avoid the hassle of welding emt and the fun that galvanized gas produces. Not to mention still needing to bend 90s and the thin wall less forgiving with the good ol foot/ hand bender. Unfortunately getting my own bender isn't in the cards right now... I was given the green light over the winter from the wife but then (murpheys law) the furnace decided to bite the dust $$$.

Willing to compensate for your time and use of tool. I got a 15 year old I can rent out for bigger jobs like tube fenders and a roll cage too! 😅

As of now just wanting to get a roof rack under way. Lmk here or pm, thanks guys

David Cox with T2GD fabrication 303-941-6744

Edit 8 90*s

Are you David? Or shall I say you sent me?

Tell David Trent sent you! Great kid and very knowledgeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
David (Time to get dirty) and his dad are long time members. His shop is in Wyoming.

Trent told me to log on, I can get you handled easily if it’s 1.5” or 1.75” tube. I have a 1.25” die on order. Air over hydro bend, 90* takes less than a minute.
Located 20 miles west of Cheyenne.
303-941-6744

Trent told me to log on, I can get you handled easily if it’s 1.5” or 1.75” tube. I have a 1.25” die on order. Air over hydro bend, 90* takes less than a minute.
Located 20 miles west of Cheyenne.
303-941-6744

I can get the tubing to Cheyenne and David can pick it up from me.

First of all... there's some shenanigans goin on here... how did my post get edited by you puttzer?!? Haha you must be a high ranking official eh?! Threw me for a loop for a sec.

Ok, this all sounds above and beyond righteousness! Awesome guys!!

David, I guess my initial thought was 1.25" but 1.5" should be cherry too. Is the smaller dye stuck in pandemic back order hell? I could wait... or not. I'll work on finding some tube and access

Puttzer, What length should I shoot for? Tbh I've been thinkn the emt at Lowes was what I was stuck with so haven't even sourced anything else. I'm thinkn 1 stick could be bent 4x and regardless of the size of the halo I can make it bigger to my dimensions... So 2 sticks at what ever acceptable length for your transportation should do er right?

Last edited:
I also have a few hundred feet of tube and more on order. I could just sell you some to take out the middle man.

First of all... there's some shenanigans goin on here... how did my post get edited by you puttzer?!? Haha you must be a high ranking official eh?! Threw me for a loop for a sec.

Ok, this all sounds above and beyond righteousness! Awesome guys!!

David, I guess my initial thought was 1.25" but 1.5" should be cherry too. Is the smaller dye stuck in pandemic back order hell? I could wait... or not. I'll work on finding some tube and access

Puttzer, What length should I shoot for? Tbh I've been thinkn the emt at Lowes was what I was stuck with so haven't even sourced anything else. I'm thinkn 1 stick could be bent 4x and regardless of the size of the halo I can make it bigger to my dimensions... So 2 sticks at what ever acceptable length for your transportation should do er right?

Yes I am the VP of the chapter and can edit posts :laugh2:
Sounds like David can fix you up with tubing and bends! I can haul home when finished, Have 22' trailer so no worries.

I also have a few hundred feet of tube and more on order. I could just sell you some to take out the middle man.

Works for me! Lmk when you're ready to rock.

Thanks guys!

On further review, 1.5" seems huge no?? What's commonly used? 1"? I might have to wait until you get the 1.25 dye.. or just go with the 1" emt shoot

I made custom .75" and 1.0" dies for the HF pipe bender. I had no problem making nice bends. IIRC the radius was about 4". If you look back through the old posts you may find some pix of my roof rack and dies. I would be more than happy to loan you the bender and dies, but I won't be back in colorado for a month.

Metal Distributors in Fort Collins normally has those sizes in stock. Stay away from conduit if you can. Welding it and grinding it can be hazardous to your health.

I made custom .75" and 1.0" dies for the HF pipe bender. I had no problem making nice bends. IIRC the radius was about 4". If you look back through the old posts you may find some pix of my roof rack and dies. I would be more than happy to loan you the bender and dies, but I won't be back in colorado for a month.

Metal Distributors in Fort Collins normally has those sizes in stock. Stay away from conduit if you can. Welding it and grinding it can be hazardous to your health.

Ok cool! I've never been successful making a kink free bend on smaller pipe with the hf. Sand slow and multiple bend points still not pretty. If I still havent sorted it by then, it'd be awesome to loan and have some guidance on getting them 90s, ty!

I've welded galvanized before. Fan, mask, ventilation, and flux core has been a good recipe. The glass of milk before was probably hogwash, but I drank one before and after with no ill side effects. However, I'd like to avoid it because now it's jinxed and my health is more important than an accessory- especially since I'm not getting younger.

I have pondered the black schedule 40 at lowes I think 1/2 inch.. can't use a foot bender on that stuff but should be able to clean and weld to no problem. Down side having to waste length by cutting threads off and of course having to grind the black off where weld is needed. Could probably utilize the threads if designed right I suppose.

You know there are some cheap benders that go to 90degrees got around $300. If you're not doing alot of fabrication they do well for the person needing the occasional project bender. Shops charge around $20 a bend

Last I checked the one I was eyeing, by Woodward fab, was about 5 hundo. Once you add like 3 dyes and the necessary mounting stuff its was well over a grand.
Not ready for that. Just want a functional rack for the camping season up there.
One day.

Until then I have to solicit help for 8 little bends.. maybe I can buy pre-made 90s. I haven't pinpointed the material ima use yet... despite the warnings my mind keeps going back to emt. Thin wall light weight and cheap is hard to beat. Aluminum would probably be best, but then id have to solicit help to weld it as well LOL
The roof rack won't house much weight with my camping and hunting needs. Getting heavy shit up there isn't easy anyhow.. my buddy had his 37" spare up on his roof and needed help once after he hurt his back. That was a royal PITA and I will never be subjected to getting something like that on my roof!

I'm not going to pull the trigger quite yet, but the emt racks I've seen look plenty strong. Likely stronger than any of the stuffs sold at like Walmart or what have you.. the over priced Thule, cabellas haul-master, trailgear, the arisen, and what not.
When I build a roll cage proper dom will be required.. if I ever end up upside down on the roof rack, don't matter how strong it is my jeep is a goner. So order of priorities is low cost, low weight, then strength.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:12a0be18-ac19-4fce-81a9-a1faa919102d

Was used on a "Cherokee," $100.

278016576_5852074038141086_2885130555908657788_n.jpg

Probably cheaper than the 1" tube I'll buy.. but I think I can do better.. if only slightly :laugh2:

Instead of making a new jeep friend with a bender, my buddy bought one. I'll help buy material/ dyes for hids projects and hopefully we can crank out a decent roof rack, tube fenders, and roll cage eventually. To bad he's in to big dumb Chevy trucks :roflmao:

Thanks for all the input/ replies guys... jeep on! Hope to do some trails in NoCo with yall this summer

Last edited:
I finished my gig in AZ and will back in CO the middle of the month. My bender can be available or you can come up and we can bend it together. Would be good to meet you.

Sounds good! Really dig your teardrop build! I haven't done a meet up since the pizza joint in Firestone or whatever a few years back. Be nice to do some group stuffs now that we are getting back to normalcy too

Back