• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Mods Planned Tonight & Tomorrow - Anyone Want To Come Help /Supervise?

NW99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Fender Trimming/Mods going to start tonight and tomorrow.
Going to Cut-N-Fold the rear too.
Possibly going to attempt to relocate the OEM Fender Flares as well.
Any takers on coming by my place and lending a hand, or advice, or "supervising"?
I've Read many threads on multiple forums, so I'm as informed as i'm going to get (i think.)
Never done this before, so I'm a little apprehensive.

Thanks Ben!
I have a jig saw (& metal blades) a 4" grinder with cut off wheels, and various hammers.....
I THINK (from what I've read) that those will have me prepared "enough".
I wish I still had my reciprocating air saw (and a compressor to run it) but it got stolen years ago.
I know the jig saw will work well enough, it'll just be a little more cumbersome to use, but I think the 32 TPI blades will help keep the cuts slow and smooth.
I need to get some stuff to secure the flaps (after folding) - so I'm going to grab some self tappers after work.
I thought about rivets and a gun, but thats gonna be more than I want to spend on this.
I'll also need to seal up the folds in the rear afterwards, so I'm on the fence on whether to use silicone (?-the type of stuff you use to glue a windshield in with) ...or go the kitty-hair method.
Either way, I have some bed liner stuff I'm going to paint the edges and under sides with when done.
I think I'm going to try to tackle this at home, my garage is big enough to pull all the way into, I have various parts stores, Home Depot, Lowes, and a Harbor Freight all real close by.... (just in case)
If I change my mind Ben I'll let you know asap.
I'm trying to get started on this tonight, so that if I screw up, or run out of time, I have all Saturday to fix it/finish up. I'm going on a quick day run up to TSF Sunday morning, hence the the deadline.

If you do it at BPBs house I can help.

Thanks Ben!
I have a jig saw (& metal blades) a 4" grinder with cut off wheels, and various hammers.....
I THINK (from what I've read) that those will have me prepared "enough".
I wish I still had my reciprocating air saw (and a compressor to run it) but it got stolen years ago.
I know the jig saw will work well enough, it'll just be a little more cumbersome to use, but I think the 32 TPI blades will help keep the cuts slow and smooth.
I need to get some stuff to secure the flaps (after folding) - so I'm going to grab some self tappers after work.
I thought about rivets and a gun, but thats gonna be more than I want to spend on this.
I'll also need to seal up the folds in the rear afterwards, so I'm on the fence on whether to use silicone (?-the type of stuff you use to glue a windshield in with) ...or go the kitty-hair method.
Either way, I have some bed liner stuff I'm going to paint the edges and under sides with when done.
I think I'm going to try to tackle this at home, my garage is big enough to pull all the way into, I have various parts stores, Home Depot, Lowes, and a Harbor Freight all real close by.... (just in case)
If I change my mind Ben I'll let you know asap.
I'm trying to get started on this tonight, so that if I screw up, or run out of time, I have all Saturday to fix it/finish up. I'm going on a quick day run up to TSF Sunday morning, hence the the deadline.

Ive got a rivet gun if you want to go that route. You can borrow it.

What area of gresham? PM me your #.. i might be in to stop by and judge:cheers:

If you do it at BPBs house I can help.
Thanks, that means alot, But I think I'm gonna keep the "home turf advantage" for now.
If I start to get in over my head, or need a third hand, I'll call in for the Calvary.

Ive got a rivet gun if you want to go that route. You can borrow it.
Thanks, (wish I would've checked back sooner).... but i've already procured some screws that should do the job.

What area of gresham? PM me your #.. i might be in to stop by and judge:cheers:
PM Sent....

I've been stuck on the "honey dew" list all frickin morning.... And now get told out of the blue that we have dinner company coming over later this afternoon..... not sure how much I'm going to get done (dammut)...... I did get part of the driver's side done, but not completed.....(hopefully) I can at least get the fronts trimmed up today, and tackle the rear mods (cut-n-fold) later.
Ben.... If the offer still stands (and I dont get much accomplished this weekend) I'd like to take you (and anyone else) up on your offer for help....
I'll keep y'all posted - and thanks again everyone.

Fronts are done!
(driver's side)
IMG_1407.jpg

Here's my "write-up" of how I did it, and how it went on the passenger side.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245694840#post245694840

I'll prob do the trim of the rear tonight,
but the cut-n-fold may have to wait till next weekend.

Last edited:
Well, operation Rear cut-n-fold is only half done.
it's nearly midnight, I've been at it for about 4 hours.
It took two metal blades on my jigsaw.
4 cut off wheels, and a major pain in my ass....
I'm actually really regretting not heading up to BPB's now.
(i'm also regretting not opening the garage door sooner after spraying on that bed liner.... think i lost a few brain cells tonight.
The results are.......so-so. Not bad, but I think they could've been better.
It'll do for now, I'll eventually want to cover things up with some flares of some kind, whether it relocating my factory ones, or some flatties.
So until next weekend, I'll be the guy driving around with only one rear lower quater panel cut and folded.

Back