• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Loss

GreenXJ2K

NAXJA Forum User
Filling up the coolant bottle more frequently lately, found milky white oil on oil filler cap, suspect faulty head gasket. Yes, I've got the 0331 head, but its got 185K on it, and never had so much as a tiny issue with it, runs great, good temps, pressure etc. If its a cracked head, is it easy to spot when the head is out? Gonna rip off the head and take a look this weekend, looking for a quality head gasket, what's your best recommendation?

2000 XJ, 4.0

Thanks
-john

Filling up the coolant bottle more frequently lately, found milky white oil on oil filler cap, suspect faulty head gasket. Yes, I've got the 0331 head, but its got 185K on it, and never had so much as a tiny issue with it, runs great, good temps, pressure etc. If its a cracked head, is it easy to spot when the head is out? Gonna rip off the head and take a look this weekend, looking for a quality head gasket, what's your best recommendation?

2000 XJ, 4.0

Thanks
-john

If it was just a little milk on the oil filler cap, with zero coolant loss, it might have been just condensation.

Time for a head.

If it was mine I would drain the crankcase and replace the oil, clean filter, and run the engine up to full operating temperature. Shut off the engine, then drain the oil. If the oil comes out "normal" then get to tearing things down. If it still looks contaminated, change the filter and add clean oil and run it again up to normal temp. Keep repeating until you have clean oil coming out. I wouldn't want to leave coolant in my bearings.

There is a casting flaw in the 0331 head which oftentimes results in cracking between cylinders 3-4. It by far is the most common spot for cracks. You can try pulling off the valve cover and performing a close inspection.

Confirmation tests include cooling system pressure test, block test (sniffing coolant for presence of hydrocarbons), compression test, and cylinder leakdown test.

If head is cracked, you obviously don't want to put another 0331 on. Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head offer beefed up heads in the $400-$500 range, and a 2003 or newer Jeep head (TUPY markings) from a salvage yard Wrangler or a Grand Cherokee is another good option.

As mentioned, coolant and oil is a bad mix and is very hard on engine internals.

I can't believe it, I thought I was one of the lucky ones that had a "good" 0331, it's cracked. Ran fresh oil through for 20 mins, drained, nice and watery. Removed valve cover, hairline crack clearly visible between 3&4.....f'n great. Engine has 184K on it, rebuild, or crate? If I just purchase a new one, any recommendations?....i've been out of the loop on this subject for quite a while now. Could I put some JB weld on it, to hold it over for a while?

Any help would be great, thanks!!

Here's one, little skeptical of buying crap like this off ebay, but this needs to get fixed fast, its my semi-daily driver...any other reputable companies?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
Could I put some JB weld on it, to hold it over for a while?

Nope, I love J&B Weld, but that absolutely will not work on an internal head crack.

Not familiar with the company you listed. Jasper and others offer a pretty good product shipped to your door. Others will chime in I'm sure.

Also consider checking with the local salvage yard, Craigslist, etc. for used plug and play engines.

Figured JB wouldn't cut it. Bought a new Clearwater Cylinder head, new Felpro head bolts and a upper gasket kit, all for about 600 shipped. Tried finding a Chilton manual for 2000, no luck. But I did the Chilton online subscription, and thus far it looks like it will help. However, I really couldn't find a detailed list of other things to have on hand to complete the job properly, what else do you recommend?

thanks

Sorry you did the Chilton thing, unless their online stuff is way better than their printed manuals--exact same thing for Haynes--I am an equal opportunity hater of both.

Normally I would push http://www.autobooksbishko.com/index.html but they don't have a lot for the 99+ crowd. Bishko's products are LICENSED by Chryco. Nothing beats a FSM in your hands for your year XJ, but a $26.95 subscription to alldata.com is a close second, and that is only because you have to renew it where owning an FSM is a one-time cost.

To be fair, I went to the Chilton website and looked at their online stuff. Not impressed.

I'm the worlds biggest bonehead, I found the 2000 FSM on a memory stick I had tucked away. Attacking this when everything arrives, maybe I'll put up a tutorial with lots of pics, I couldn't find anything like that around.....

HYDRAULIC TAPPETS

Do I need the Hydraulic Tappet removal tool as stated in the FSM, or do they just come right out?

That sucks about the head man. My friend's WJ head cracked with over 200K miles on it. I have an Alabama cylinder head on mine and it seems to run good so far. Where are you located in CT? I'm in the Northeast part.

West Hartford, picked up a Clearwater head for 425.00 shipped, 5 yr warranty. I'll be doing this outside in the cold, should be a real blast....can't wait.

Getting ready to dive in!! I've been running synthetic for the last 100K, should I use regular oil for valve train break in? If so, for how many miles?

I'd run regular oil for 2-3k miles first, the go back to synth. But actually, it shouldn't matter. The only thing that doesn't break in so good with synth is the piston rings, which you haven't changed.

I'd run regular oil for 2-3k miles first, the go back to synth. But actually, it shouldn't matter. The only thing that doesn't break in so good with synth is the piston rings, which you haven't changed.

x2, not critical, but you may want to change earlier than 2-3k to make sure all of the coolant crap is gone, so just use El-Cheapo dino.

Success!! I purchased a Crown manifold/intake gasket, wasn't quite like the orig, exhaust manifold isn't lined up, sounds like a big airplane engine, but it fired right up. Bought the all metal from hesco, gonna have to re-do it. PITA!!

Back