• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Seat Question, Swap Left Seat to Right

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello: I have a 1990 Laredo XJ. Both front seats are passenger side seats. Thus my driver seat is really a passenger seat, and therefore the recline lever is on the inside rather than outside of the seat back. It is not accessible as the lever is up against the center console.

I think my best bet to fit would probably be to get a driver seat from the wrecker. What years seats are same as 1990?

Other that the hole in the upholstery for the recline lever, are there other differences in the upolstery i.e. seat cover, that would be a problem if I bought a driverside seat, and installed my passenger side upholstery on it in place of the driverside upolstery?

my upholstery is in great condition, none of the wrecking yard upolstery is nice, so I want to swap my passenger upholstery onto the driver seat I purchase. Id cut a hole in my upholstery to fit the recline lever. Is there any other difference left seat to right seat in the upolstery other than the recline lever location?

Or, maybe someone knows if the recline lever can be swapped to the other side without me having to replace the seat? Can it be that simple?

please let me know .

thank you!

Now I can't comment on seats from a '90. What I can tell you about is removable headrest leather seats that would be in a '97 to '01. I had the one piece buckets in my '00. Was able to get my hands on 2 sets of leather removable headrest seats in so so condition. Since passenger side seats are generally in better shape I turned a passenger side seat into a driver's.

I don't think you can just swap the handle. The frame work, mounting points, etc are different from driver's to passenger side. At least for me.

Now as far as the up right part goes, the part your back is on, the seat cover itself was the same. So I just swapped over the seat cover, not the foam, to the driver's side frame work.

The bottom was a little more challenging. The mounting points for the seat cover are different on either side. I swapped over the passenger seat cover and foam to the driver's side frame work. I used some zip ties. Had to cut a slit in the seat cover for part of the frame to poke through by the console. Also had to make a hole on the outside.

Now the issue that I have carpet on the outside and leather by the console comes into play. Reversed of what it should be. But I was using seat covers so I was not worried about it being to visable.

IMO you are going to need a driver's seat. For the frame work. Make sure the foam is good on the upright part. Seat cover itself does not matter. For the bottom all you care about is the frame itself. So the condition of the seat cover and foam does not matter.

Now how doing this with removable headrest leather seats that would be in a '97 and up compares to a '90? Not a clue.

I would post some pictures of what I did to hopefully illustrate what I wrote above better but I don't know how in this forum. Not a problem on the other forums I am on. I don't use any type of 3rd party imagining thing. And the extent of my social media presence are a few jeep forums.

I could probably find posts I made with pictures on the other forums concerning this. I could email you some pictures. But it was not that hard.

Back