• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster = Garbage

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Have had a flowmaster super 44 cat back on my xj for almost exactly 1 year. It looks so bad now that it makes my original catalytic converter from 1998 look good. I'm very annoyed with the craptastic quality of flowmaster and would like recommendations for something else.

I do plan on upgrading to high flow everything within the next year so all suggestions are helpful

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Although Ive had good luck with Flowmaster so far, I absolutely LOVE the aFe cat back system on my '01 XJ. Its a 2 1/2" Stainless with a nice flat-cut turndown at the tip, sounds great, flows great, and was easy to install because everything needed was there.
Its P/N-49-46225. Go to their website now. aFepower.com. Im also using their intake kit as well, which is also excellent!

Although Ive had good luck with Flowmaster so far, I absolutely LOVE the aFe cat back system on my '01 XJ. Its a 2 1/2" Stainless with a nice flat-cut turndown at the tip, sounds great, flows great, and was easy to install because everything needed was there.
Its P/N-49-46225. Go to their website now. aFepower.com. Im also using their intake kit as well, which is also excellent!
Looked up some vids. Although I only found vids of it on whatever Chrysler is making now it seems a little too quiet. Looking for something loud that you can hear inside but not so invasive that you cant hear the person next to you talking.
Thanks for the recommendation though

Have you considered contacting the vendor that you purchased from or flow master directly? You may be helping them develop a better product and they may thank you for it. I'm sure they don't want their name synonymous with "craptastic "

Have you considered contacting the vendor that you purchased from or flow master directly? You may be helping them develop a better product and they may thank you for it. I'm sure they don't want their name synonymous with "craptastic "
The vendor I believe was performance curve. They gave me an off road exhaust pipe (sits higher up and out of the way) and the flowmaster. But all they do is stock it and it looked fine in the box. It's just cheap paint. Sounds great just.... one year old and entirely brown. You couldn't fine a flake of black paint on it if you sent it to a lab and I wash my truck after every winter storm so it's not like it gets too salty.

I wont contact them directly because they definitely know how cheap the paint is. But I'll leave a review somewhere and showed this to a lot of jeepers so they know what they are getting into if they so choose to buy from them

Have had a flowmaster super 44 cat back on my xj for almost exactly 1 year. It looks so bad now that it makes my original catalytic converter from 1998 look good. I'm very annoyed with the craptastic quality of flowmaster and would like recommendations for something else.

I do plan on upgrading to high flow everything within the next year so all suggestions are helpful

Just to clarify, is your complaint that the paint has peeled off of the Flowmaster muffler? And this makes their product garbage?

Define craptastic?

Explain how a coat of black paint effects the measurable performance of the Flowmaster exhaust?

I live in UT where they use salt on the roads in the winter and I'm running the same Flowmaster that I installed over 100k miles/11yrs ago. Still sounds awesome and has exhibited no rusting, nor structural issues.

Mine is a Super 40 model and wasn't painted/has never been painted, nor would I expect any paint that wasn't a high temp ceramic type baked-on coating to hold up under a vehicle, enduring endless heating and cooling cycles and exposure to the elements.

I don't know anyone who purchases a Flowmaster for it's show-car paint finish, in fact, I'm actually surprised that they even come with paint on them.

Back